Starting out

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
hooper35

Starting out

Post by hooper35 »

I have just found your site and would like to know more.

I want to start to control my home via z-wave and thought I would use Vera2. However, that would require:
1. A DSL modem
2. A Vera2

Whilst if I use your method, I believe I should be able to plug a z-wave dongle into an ADSL Router which reduces the cost, complexity and power consumption.

As yet I have not bought any hardware - either a z-wave dongle, a Vera2 or any z-wave devices.

Please can you help.....

1. I have downloaded your manuals, but I cannot find out how to install the software on a DSL Router - are there any instructions which may include screenshots of the install process.
2. It is difficult to judge whether your solution is any good if I cannot "try" it out without having to connect to a z-wave dongle - perhaps more screenshots would help.

Thanks in advance

Charles
PoltoS

Which DSL router do you have?

Post by PoltoS »

Dear Charles,

Unfortunately, there is no standard router on the market. So, please provide us with model name of your DSL router. We already have solutions for FritzBoxes and for OpenWRT based routers and we are preparing installation guides for both.

Other routers might be supported too, but it is up to user to compile Z-Connector for other models. Z-Connector comes with source code for Unix platforms, so you can also try to build it for your custom router.
hooper35

ADSL Router

Post by hooper35 »

Can you recommend an ADSL Router that takes Open WRT
PoltoS

We can not suggest you any

Post by PoltoS »

We can not suggest you any specific model. Here is a list of all supported hardware by OpenWRT project: wiki.openwrt.org/toh/startBasically, any router with recent firmware will do the job. But pay attention to flash memory size: some routers have no room to install more software on it. Sometimes external USB flash can solve this problem.
wimric

Fritzbox

Post by wimric »

I have a Fritzbox router 7270. Wher can I download your Fritzbox connector package to plug a Zwave usb dongle in my Fritzbox ?
pz1

As with any other box, you

Post by pz1 »

As with any other box, you are pretty much on your own. The question has been asked before (http://en.z-wave.me/content/fritzbox)
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum