Very poor range with Razberry

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
evansnp

Very poor range with Razberry

Post by evansnp »

I've just started to build my home automation system, and have a RaZberry controller, with 3 TKB dimmer sockets. I am finding that 1 or 2 nodes keep being reported as dead, and a reboot of the Raspberry cures the problem for a short while, then they disappear again. The maximum distance from the controller to the farthest socket is around 6 metres, through very thin walls, and there is another device inbetween, so it should be reachable over the network. Surely, at these distances, I shouldn't be having problems with signal strength?
evansnp

Re: Very poor range with Razberry

Post by evansnp »

Update: It looks like it was the Domoticz software that was the problem, as running with z-way, I see none of the aformentioned problems. I'll give it a bit longer before deciding that it's fixed.
silverhack

Post by silverhack »

i was having a lot of problems with my devices as well, and it turned out that the baby monitor was causing tons of interference. I got a new baby monitor that works on the 2.4Ghz frequency and now my zwave network is working great!
pz1

Post by pz1 »

FYI
Don't know if any of those baby monitors operates in the same range. There are many devices in the "free" bands where Z-Wave also operates, that do not obey to the rules. These bands allow only very limited air time for the devices.
(There is an in depth discussion about air time on TheThingsNetwork forum)
mariareese

Post by mariareese »

@ silverhack .. I am also in trouble with the device.. having the same issue.. :(