Z-Wave board?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
canalrun

Z-Wave board?

Post by canalrun »

I am wondering if something like this exists and if someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been looking for a circuit board or module that includes the hardware and firmware to handle all of the Z-Wave communication and protocol on its own. In addition this board would contain two I/O contact pins that if connected together (closed circuit) would cause the board to send a Z-Wave event (maybe "On"), then if opened would cause the board to send another Z-Wave event (maybe "Off").

To use this board or module one would only have to supply power (5 volts) and ground connections. The user would also provide whatever it is that generates the closed circuit – maybe a switch, a gate closure, a feed bucket empty …

Does something like this board or module exist?

I've been searching for something like this, but I'm not even sure what it would be called. This would be great to address simple, custom requirements that are currently not supported by commercially available devices.

Thanks,
Barry.
PoltoS

Re: Z-Wave board?

Post by PoltoS »

You need Z-Uno!

Please check https://z-uno.z-wave.me
canalrun

Post by canalrun »

Thanks for the reply. That does look like a very good board. I am in the USA so I will probably be getting one later this year.

What I had mind was even simpler than the Z-Uno. There would be absolutely no need for programming. Once you provide power and connect your switch (or whateever), the embedded software handles all the Z-Wave protocol. After connecting to your Z-Wave network the board sends Z-Wave On or Off events based on whether the two contacts become shorted or open.
the wife

Post by the wife »

Not sure this is what you want. I don't have experience of it, but it looked quite useful from the reviews sections of amazon and vesternet.

It is a universal sensor from Fibaro which has 2 binary sensors to detect open/closed circuits.
Available quite cheaply in the UK, but not sure about USA.

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro- ... o_s=gplauk
canalrun

Post by canalrun »

That's very close.
I do not see it available in the USA.

I wonder where the guys who make the magnetic window close sensors get the internal parts for their sensors. It seems many companies have essentially the same sensor, so I would almost bet that they buy the guts from an OEM supplier and just add their own plastic case or company label.

I wonder who they buy it from?

Barry.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

What @the wife says is correct. Fibaro Universal sensor does what what tou need. (and additionally has the option to attach 4 temperature sensors. It is available in USA frequency as you can see in this maual I found with google. So there must be suppliers over there: http://www.fibaro.com/us/where-to-buy.