Dead z-wave board

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
bondsc

Dead z-wave board

Post by bondsc »

Hi,

I have a RazBerry board connected to a PI 2.
I'm running Raspbian Jessie lite 2016-09-23
I installed the Z-way software using wget -q -O - razberry.z-wave.me/install | sudo bash

It originally worked. The SmartHome website worked fine and I managed to add my Fire alarm and a few Z-wave light switches.

But then I had to shutdown the PI 2 because I wanted to move it to a more central location in the house.

Now the SmartHome website continues to work, but it seems that the RazBerry board is no longer working:
No devices are shown
The "Info" screen no longer shows the firmware or capabilities of the device and I receive the error "An unexpected error occurred while initializig the Z-Wave controller data".

In /var/logs/z-way-server.log I see lots of:
Get controller info and supported function classes. No ACK received before timeout.
Too many resends

Dead board?
If so, can I return it? I've only had it for a weekend. What are my options?

Thanks

Simon
bondsc

Re: Dead z-wave board

Post by bondsc »

Forgot to mention....

When I turn on the PI 2, the lights on the Z-wave board come on for about 1 second and then turn off.
From that point onwards, there are no lights on the Z-wave board.

Simon
Z-Wave Support

Post by Z-Wave Support »

Hello Simon,

please check the Port in:

Apps>active>Z-Wave Netzwork Access>Serial port to Z-Wave dongle

The Port must be "/dev/ttyAMA0"

Z-Wave Support
gsaw

Post by gsaw »

I had similar problem. I transfered raspberry pi to other room, and for it i detached razberry from the RPi. Then on new place I attached razsberry again to the RPi, but probably on the wrong pins. The UART port seems to be burned. The raspberry pi was no more able to communicate to razsberry. If RPi was powered on, the leds are blinking for one second, because the chip still working, but no communication.

In log i save some thing similar that

"bad data, communication failed"

I bought new razsberry.
bondsc

Post by bondsc »

@Support:
Yes it is set to /dev/ttyAMA0
It originally worked. All I did was turn the PI off and on again.
Any more ideas?
Anything I can type at the shell to confirm the presence of the device or perform any diagnostics?

@gsaw:
Hmm. Sounds similar except that I didn't take the board off the PI

Simon
vosmont

Post by vosmont »

I've the same problem
vosmont

Post by vosmont »

something odd : the file "/boot/cmdline.txt" is empty.

is it normal ?
vosmont

Post by vosmont »

\o/

I've put this in my cmdline.txt, and now it works :

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
It seems that by default console=ttyAMA0,115200, and then Razberry can not use ttyAMA0.
bondsc

Post by bondsc »

Thanks for the information vosmont.

In the end I concluded that the board was dead so I returned to the vendor. It didn't appear in /dev/ or any of the Linux commands that I issued and I didn't know what else to do with it.
Remember that it worked for a while, then I rebooted the PI and it stopped working. I hadn't changed the config.

I bought the USB Z-Wave UZB device in its place and that's working. But it's very expensive (with the license) so I went for the one without the license and will use OpenHAB instead. It's a shame that the USB device (with license) costs so much more than the GPIO board as I had been using Z-Way and it seemed pretty good.

Maybe I'll come back to Z-Way if OpenHAB doesn't work out. At least you can buy the license at a later time.

Simon