Question pepper1/zwavedb

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
sploff

Question pepper1/zwavedb

Post by sploff »

How are we user affected when pepper1/zwavedb is closing?
Found this on pepper1
This database is not maintained anymore and will be shut down shortly. Please use the Z-Wave Alliance Product Catalogue as an alternative.

//Sploff
pz1

Re: Question pepper1/zwavedb

Post by pz1 »

sploff wrote:Please use the Z-Wave Alliance Product Catalogue as an alternative.
This is very bad but not unexpected news. Afaik the person who maintained it had to do it in his free time. I am very grateful for the services they have offered over the past years to the user community.

Unfortunately the Z-Wave Alliance Product Catalogue is, imho, NOT at all an alternative, since it does not provide the level of detail we got from Pepper1. Over the years I experienced that in contrast to Pepper1 the Z-Wave Allience never responded to any of my questions/remarks.

So I do hope we get a better alternative.

Many thanks again to Pepper1 !!
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
Provo

Post by Provo »

There is the Open Z-Wave database of device descriptions. Maybe Z-Way could start using that one? They're formatted a bit differently from the pepper1 descriptors, but if Z-Way doesn't already accept that format, it shouldn't be very hard for them to create a parser that does.
emimull

Post by emimull »

I believe the Open Z-Wave db is based on pepper1. I may be wrong though, but seem to recall some mention of it when I last experimented with Open Z-Wave.
michap

Post by michap »

Open Z-Wave DB is more or less independent of the pepper1 DB.

Most files are coming from users who integrated a device in Open Z-Wave based applications.
I also have already added some XML files there.

So could be a technical way to use this information, but as sample there are no pictures in the XML...
Device pictures were taken also from Pepper directory.

Michael
pz1

Post by pz1 »

As a matter of fact a substantial portion of Pepper1 contents were provided by ZWave>me authors. So I guess they could build on the existing resource.