Can't pair Apple HomeKit Gate

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Froschkoenig

Can't pair Apple HomeKit Gate

Post by Froschkoenig »

Hi!

I installed Apple HomeKit Gate successfully on RaZberry. However the gateway isn't shown in HomeKit (iPad with 10.2.1).

Is this a general issue with latest iOS version or do I something wrong?

Thanks!
10neWulf

Re: Can't pair Apple HomeKit Gate

Post by 10neWulf »

I got it to work once last year, but never since (not to discredit the developer of the z-way app...), but if you've got a spare Raspberry Pi I'm a big advocate for HomeBridge! I've been using it ever since, and its pretty flawless - just doesn't do proper heating/cooling control yet.

more info:
https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-zway
10neWulf

Post by 10neWulf »

Also:
Froschkoenig wrote: Is this a general issue with latest iOS version or do I something wrong?
I think it is due to the restrictions that Apple place on HomeKit. In an ideal world, Apple wants developers/manufacturers to have their HomeKit device sent to them to be tested during it's development, then they want those same manufacturers to buy chips from them to install in HomeKit compatible devices (to ensure apple have control over what devices can be used with HomeKit, and have a continuous revenue stream from HomeKit)

The obvious issue here is that the app is not physical hardware, and isn't verified by apple, therefore the developer probably has a hard time to negotiate their way around all of apple's restrictions.

Hope that helps!
Froschkoenig

Post by Froschkoenig »

Thanks 10neWulf! I was afraid that it is caused by Apple's policy. Just wasn't sure as the latest version of the Gateway is still pretty new.

Do you know if HomeBridge can run on the same Raspberry than Z-Way? Might be an alternative.
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

I have my working :)

My experience is that it is really buggy, but it works as long as you dont make any changes in apps or add devices. If you do, it bugs out.

Try to delete "my home" and delete the whole HomeKit app from both iPad and iPhone, and reinstall it again. Then delete HomeKit gate in Razberry and reinstall it. Then change the name that appears in iOS devices HomeKit gate to something else than you have tried before, for example "raZberry_1"

This works for me, but if I add a device or make any changes HomeKit bugs out, and the whole process have to be done again.
Thats my experience

Note that the gate only works in 2.3.0 and higher

//Andreas
leonmf

Post by leonmf »

Froschkoenig wrote:Thanks 10neWulf! I was afraid that it is caused by Apple's policy. Just wasn't sure as the latest version of the Gateway is still pretty new.

Do you know if HomeBridge can run on the same Raspberry than Z-Way? Might be an alternative.
I've been running Homebridge for the last year+. I started out running them on the same rPi but it crashed after a week and I determined that I was better maintaining them on separate rPis to prevent any kind of conflicts. I've been running (mostly) problem free for the last year with a dual Pi setup.
Froschkoenig

Post by Froschkoenig »

Thanks for your answers. I managed to install homebridge on the same pi now. Works fine so far. Let's see if it is stable over time.
venicenerd

Post by venicenerd »

Froschkoenig wrote:
25 Feb 2017 10:14
Thanks for your answers. I managed to install homebridge on the same pi now. Works fine so far. Let's see if it is stable over time.
Do you have any update on this? Is it stable? Also do you have any tutorials on how to run Z-way and HomeBridge on the same Pi?
ARK1

Post by ARK1 »

I have installed homebridge and Z-way on the same Pi and it is stable. All I can tell you is that I followed the standard instructions for installing each consequently - first Homebridge, then z-way, using the Razberry daughter board.

I also use Homekit Gate, which breaks everytime a new device is added to z-way. It seems stable, as long as no new devices are added. When it breaks, you need to remove it from Homekit, pause the Homekit Gate app, change it’s name and resume the app. Then you should be able to re-add it as a bridge to Homekit on your iPad or iPhone.