wallc-s factory reset not working?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
bondsc

wallc-s factory reset not working?

Post by bondsc »

I have a WallC-S switch (don't know which version but it says Z-Wave plus on the back, takes 1xCR2032 battery and is 868Mhz. There are 4 black buttons on the front).

I originally connected it to a Razberry GPIO board on a Raspberry PI running the Z-Way software.
The board stopped working ages ago and I've now switched to using a UZB USB stick on a Raspberry PI running OpenHAB 2.

All my other devices work fine with OpenHAB2 (door sensors, LED lamps, smoke detectors) but I cannot get the WallC-S switch to connect to OpenHAB2. I presume the problem is because the wall switch is still bound to the old Razberry and so I decided to factory reset the switch. But I don't seem to be able to factory reset it:

I might have the wrong manual: The manual suggests I hold down the 4 buttons for 1 second to get into maintenance mode, but this seems to be wrong because I have to hold them down for 5 seconds before the light starts flashing green.
The manual then says press button 3 and then hold down button 4 for 4 seconds, but else where it in the manual it says to do this for 10 seconds... It's not clear whether I press and release button 3 before pressing button 4 or if I press and hold down button 3 and then hold down button 4. Either way, I don't think it's resetting: The green light starts flashing faster when I press and release button 3 but nothing happens when I then hold down button 4 - is there supposed to be any feedback from the lights?

I've confirmed that all 4 buttons work because the light flashes red when I press any one of the 4 buttons in normal mode.

Is anyone able to provide instructions on exactly what I have to do to reset the wall switch and what kind of feedback I should expect from the lights?

Thanks,

Simon
Z-Wave Support

Re: wallc-s factory reset not working?

Post by Z-Wave Support »

Hello,

go to Management Mode (all Buttons --> green/red flashing)
press short button 3 and press button 4 for 5 sec. --> led flicker green.

If it not successful, check the battery, please.

Zwave Support
bondsc

Post by bondsc »

That's exactly what I'm trying.

But if I press all 4 buttons at the same time I don't get green/red flashing - I get just get slow green flashing. I have to hold the buttons down for about 5 seconds for this to happen - not the 1 second that it says in the manual.

The battery has only been in there for a month so if it's flat I'll be surprised, but I'll check.

Simon
bondsc

Post by bondsc »

I don't know if swapping the battery fixed it, or whether the action of simply removing the battery and putting it back in, but I managed to factory reset this time and the wallc-s is now talking to my new OpenHAB system after inclusion.

A few points to note:

1) You have to hold all 4 buttons down for 5 seconds before the device will go into maintenance mode. Not 1 second as the manual says.

2) When you are in maintenance mode, the green light flashes slowly. It does not flash between green and red.

3) When you press button 3 in maintenance mode, the green light starts flashing faster.

4) After pressing button 3 in maintenance mode, let go of button 3 and then hold down button 4 for 5 seconds. When the green and red lights start quickly alternate flashing, the factory reset has started and you can let go of button 4.

5) When factory reset is complete, hold down button 1 for 1 second to start inclusion. The red and green lights start quickly alternate flashing when in inclusion mode.

The manual really should be updated to explain what happens at each stage (and mention the colours), so you can tell when things aren't working as expected.

Thanks for the reply,

Simon