Trying to link TRV, temperature sensor and heating control

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jhudsy

Trying to link TRV, temperature sensor and heating control

Post by jhudsy »

Hi all,

Apologies in advance, this question has probably been asked a million times, and I'm clearly missing something basic, but browsing the forum, I've been unable to see any threads discussing it.

I'm trying to set up a very simple home heating solution. I have a bunch of StellaZ's which give me room temperature and have multiple operating modes including binary on/off and (different) setpoint temperatures. What I'm trying to do is define a schedule for each room and an associated temperature. I found the climate control app which lets me do this, and also gives me a "boost" button which lets me change the room's setpoint for 2 hours.

However, what I can't do is link the StellaZs to my heating relay switch. The logic I'm looking for is "if any room's temperature is <= setpoint, turn the boiler on". Conditional Rules, If Then etc seem to only allow me to make comparisons to fixed numbers, while the setpoint will be changing based on schedules etc.

Any and al help would be highly appreciated.
enbemokel

Re: Trying to link TRV, temperature sensor and heating control

Post by enbemokel »

Hi, maybe you can create some dummy switches to use the if/then app.
jhudsy

Post by jhudsy »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Being a newbie at this, I'm still lost - I can't see how that would help with the moving set point (which seems to be the root of the problem)?
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

Not sure if I understand your StellaZ function correct.
I would create several dummy switches that turn from Off to On at a given temperature. Then the IF/THEN rule should use the dummy switches
to control. Or logical rule if you need more conditions in on rule. If this makes no sense, then ignore it ;-) heating control is the only thing I´m not
using in my z-way installations. I like the cheap digital controlers with time frame and temperature set. Works for years without a problem :-)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi,
yes, your moving setpoint is the problem.

Currently, i think there is no out of the box solution for such a problem. But there are several, more complicated ways to achive what you want.
You could use the app load custom java script code, define 2 variables (setpoint and measured temp) and use them in an if function. Then switch a existing dummy device for easier further treatment in the conventional zway apps (Logical rule etc)

I mean something like that might do the trick, but im no professional :D

{
var setpoint = (zway.devices[xx].instances[0].xxxdont know your stellaz device..);
var measure = (zway.devices[xx].instances[0].xxxx dont know again);
if (measure <= setpoint)
controller.devices.get("DummyDevice_xxx").performCommand("on")
if ( measure > setpoint)
controller.devices.get("DummyDevice_xxx").performCommand("off")
});

Edit:
Forgot to say you need to look up the part, wich i dont know about your device. Go into expert view, device=>status=> your desired stellaz device. Now check the corresponding command classes and you will be able to create a "link"

I attached a screenshot from one of my eurotronic devices. In these commandclasses i found the right values for your case. Maybe its similar?

Example for my thermostatsetpoint:
zway.devices[91].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.data[1].setVal.value
Because under 1=>setVal my set temperature is listed
Attachments
eurotronic.PNG
eurotronic.PNG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
jhudsy

Post by jhudsy »

Many thanks to all those who replied, I'll give this a bash over the weekend and report back. If I can work out how to write a sufficiently generic solution to compare dynamic values, I'll send out a github link.