Upgrading Raspberry Pi

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
insiorc

Upgrading Raspberry Pi

Post by insiorc »

I currently run Z Way on a RPi2 which is having considerable delays so I'd like to upgrade. I have fresh installed on a RPi4 but the backup misses out several rules, I've tried several backups and it's the same each time. But for the rules that have restored then I can tell that on an RPi4 everything is much faster, no delays that I noticed. So is it possible to just take the SD card out of the RPi2 and install in either an RPi3 or 4? I've already updated to Buster and Z Way 3.0.1 on the RPi2.

Of course I could just try it, but I don't want to risk something going wrong, especially with the backups not working.
Rpi4 2Gb, Z-Way 3.2.2, UZB 5.39
fez

Re: Upgrading Raspberry Pi

Post by fez »

Make a backup image of the SD card, which you can restored later is case something is messed up.

Try it out and let us know!
insiorc

Post by insiorc »

I never considered an image, I'll hopefully get a chance tomorrow and will report back.

Thanks.
insiorc

Post by insiorc »

Ok I made an image of the RPi2 SD card and wrote it to a new SD card which I used and worked well in an RPi3. Unfortunately it did not work in an RPi4, no green light flickering on power on so I assume a problem with the image booting?

Initial observations on the RPi3 is much faster operation, almost instant light operation etc. and especially when accessing Z-Way from a PC or phone.

I'll leave the RPi3 going for now and see how the speed is over a few days as I found the RPi2 speed changed which I assumed was due to the amount of activity.
fez

Post by fez »

I did my own upgrade meanwhile, from a RPi3 to Rpi4. I did a clean install on the RPi4 and loaded a backup of z-way made on the RPi3, because I updated my Razberry board as well from v1 to v2.
Previously I cleaned up my z-way setup and migrated the scenes and rules to the "new" UI scenes and rules because I had some issues with a previous trial (but didn't have time at that time to check exactly what went wrong).
My new trial of migration worked pretty well, with some minor issues:
- some apps/modules I had to download again, but then it worked as intended
- custom set icons didn't display. solved by deleting all icons (no image) and downloading the icon packs again
- room images were also empty. Here I have no solution as I get error when trying to delete the previously set image (currently empty frame). Only one image is permitted per room
- .syscommands I had to update manually (but I expected this one), not a real issue, but it would be more convenient if this would be also backed up
insiorc

Post by insiorc »

Yes clean RPi4 install works for me too, it's just frustrating how the backup is not complete. I've been using backups downloaded to my PC, so maybe I should try a Z-Way cloud stored backup incase it's more complete (have doubts, but worth a try).

At the start on the RPi2 to upgrade from Stretch to Buster I used the Z-way upgrade instructions (https://z-wave.me/z-way-v3-0-0/) plus I had to do the below, as in this post to get it working (https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&start=10)
sudo apt-get --reinstall install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" -y z-way-server
During the upgrade I noticed text saying it was removing RPi4 stuff due to no space in the boot section (text moved quite quickly up the screeen so I cannot remember exactly, and I never scrolled back for a screendump. I expect this could be why, so I might try it again on the Rpi3 and see if it happens again I can do a screendump and hopefully figure how to fix it. Getting the RPi4 working would be best as at the moment I've stole my son's RPi3 he uses for his Retropie.