Migrating an existing Z-Wave Installation to RaZberry

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
nicholas-s

Migrating an existing Z-Wave Installation to RaZberry

Post by nicholas-s »

Hi,

I have an existing Z-Wave installation that is currently controlled by a Seluxit Viasens USB Z-Wave Stick that works as the only Z-Wave controller in the mesh.

How can I "migrate" the controller function including Node ID information from the Seluxit controller to the RaZberry board without having to reset and re-include every single z-wave device ?

The desired outcome would that the RaZberry takes over the role of the Seluxit controller and the Seluxit device could either be removed or just being used for including new devices.

Best regards,
Nicholas
pz1

You must exclude than include

Post by pz1 »

You must Exclude the devices one by one from your Seluxit, before you can Include them in the RaZberry. Inclusion means that you bind devices to the RaZberry. Razberry hardware maintains the table of included devices.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
pz1

The cloud service Zwave.me

Post by pz1 »

The cloud service Zwave.me does have under menu Network/Network Management a function to remove a failed battery driven device.
I know from the battery driven Danfoss LC devices that you can reset them by removing and reinstalling the batteries while holding the include button for more than 5 seconds or so.
I don't know if a standardised reset is a required function for Zwave compliance. Be aware there are many Zwave devices on the market that are not certified. I have for example a pile of Fibaro switches and a Universal Interface. None of them carry the Z-Wave certification logo on their boxes or data sheets. Fibaro is not the only one in this respect.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
Tiptop

This is an annoying property of Z-Wave

Post by Tiptop »

I have a related question which I am searching an answer for since quite a while:

What happens, if let's say Nicholas' Seluxit was broken and he would have used an Everspring wall switch (AN157) which doesn't seem to have a reset feature.
How is it possible to include such a device to another Z-Wave network in this case?!

The former primary controller is broken and cannot perform the exclude...
Can any other exclude a foreign network's device?
nicholas-s

Really no other way?

Post by nicholas-s »

Is it really not possible to migrate the configuration between controllers by including the RaZberry, doing some "magic" and then excluding the Seluxit controller ? Can the RaZberry be used as a secondary/backup controller ?

I have lots of in-wall switch modules and other fixed z-wave devices, excluding and re-including them would probably mean getting a 10-20m power cable and walking round the house with the raspberry connected (which is somehow stupid) and sometimes even dismounting the switches as the inclusion button is in the wall behind the switching plane.

Really no other way here ?
Tiptop

No, sorry...

Post by Tiptop »

Hi Nicholas,

that is the reason why e.g. the Viera Lite server has an option to run completely battery powered to being able to take it with you walking around in your house, opening all installations, again, searching for those little buttons behind your wall mounted switches etc.
This is a pain-in-the-a**... :-/

The only option would be to fake the previous network ID of your previous primary controller using the new controller.
This, however, is forbidden as it would allow to pirate foreign house installations, too easy...
I have read that one Z-Wave USB-Stick inofficially allows this feature, though...

I really guess you have to other option as to take your RPi with you someway while walking through your house, dismounting and re-mounting everything, again... this can be a job for a full afternoon... :-(

Greets
Stefan

PS: Even with Z-Waves new network-wide inclusion feature and even by using a SUC-SIS server (like the Duwi one...), you still would have to exclude and include all of your previous devices to the new primary controller...
PoltoS

Dear Nicholas,

Post by PoltoS »

Dear Nicholas,

There are four possibilities:
1) You can include RaZberry as secondary, so it will be in your network.
2) You can include RaZberry using Controller Shift function (connect your Seluxit to Z-Cloud if your s/w do not support this function). In that case RaZberry becomes primary and can the exclude Seluxit from this network.
3) RaZberry have a Restore function (see the manual). It allows you to restore topology "by hands" from your previous dongle.
4) The best one: connect Seluxit to Z-Cloud, make a backup, the connect RaZberry to Z-Cloud (there is a how to on the forum, turn off local Z-Way by running "/etc/rc.d/Z-Way stop") and restore the backup back on the RaZberry. Once done, diconnect and run the standalone app. Seems easy, no?

After restore you will need to re-include any device (to kick up the SDK ;) and run routes updates.
PoltoS

ANY controller (even from

Post by PoltoS »

ANY controller (even from another network) can reset a device by excluding it form the network (except for primary - it will no allow you to do it - it ususally has a reset function).

So, to reset your device just exclude it with a controller you have in hands.
michap

Re: Dear Nicholas,

Post by michap »

PoltoS wrote:3) RaZberry have a Restore function (see the manual). It allows you to restore topology "by hands" from your previous dongle.
can you explain it?

As sample previous dongle is an Aeon Stick - how to move the network using the restore function?
Controller shift (from Domoticz to Z-Way) seems not to work - I can send from OpenZwave the shift, but Z-Way doesn't receive anything (maybe I do it wrong - have resetted the Razberry at first and then have tried the "learn mode" or the "inclusion")

That's why wanted to try with restore method - but backup file is crypted... - what do you mean with "restore topology "by hands" "?

Thanks!
Michael