Backup strategy

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
michap

Backup strategy

Post by michap » 17 Jul 2013 17:37

Hi,

what can be the best backup strategy for RaZberry?

If I have a Raspberry + RaZberry and 20 devices...
Raspberry will be defective - ok, can be replaced and I will load my backup - all should be fine.
BUT:
If RaZberry will be damaged - (it is "only" an electronic device with any MTBF ..) - what should I do?
If I will replace the RaZberry device - I can not use the backup - right?
Or I should reinitalize all 20 devices, but some of them not reachable (wall plugs etc.) or mounted everywhere... So this can not be the solution.

So I think there should be any "intelligent" backup solution for this great Z-Wave network.
I can not believe that there can be a "single point of failure" for all the devices and their control ;)

Please tell me...

Thanks,
Michael

webmeezer

You can backup the Razberry

Post by webmeezer » 17 Jul 2013 17:37

You can backup the Razberry also (Network Management tab). If you have a Razberry hardware failure, replace the Razberry and run the Restore routine. This should restore the system to operation once the controller recognizes all devices again (Update Nodes)

If you're looking for a realtime failover to another device, you would need a second controller that you could "promote" to primary controller if the main Razberry failed.

Z

michap

not working as described?

Post by michap » 17 Jul 2013 17:37

Hi,

I have tried this last week.
Have changed the RaZberry card and used the last backup.
Devices were shown, but not the RaZberry device (1) - I think because of the "wrong" HomeID.
about second way:
How to promote a second controller to a primary controller if the first failed?
I also already thought that this is the only solution - but have no idea how to realize it.
We should have a script for regular updating the failover device in any way... so every time switch from one controller to second, update, switch back. But if first will be down - who can assign in such a case the second controller the pimary role?