How to catch an event from a switch?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
klirichek

How to catch an event from a switch?

Post by klirichek »

On inclusion of a switcher Razberry associate itself with every group.
So I expect that touching a switch will sent an event (command) to the razberry.
However defining the highest level of log verbosity tells that just nothing happened on switch touching.

If I associate a lamp with the switch, I can catch level reporting from the lamp and so, imagine that the level changed may be because associated switch was tapped. However this is indirect way and not always apporpriate. Does it possible to catch and (make automation) from a switch itself?
ollfa

Re: How to catch an event from a switch?

Post by ollfa »

The switch may not send "status report" to the controller, this would infringe the Lutron-patent. The switch can only send a "switching command" to an association group. This is probably why the Razberry associate itself to every group.
klirichek

Post by klirichek »

Yes, that is ok.
Razberry IS in the association group. Sometimes as the only device there.
So, switch has to send switching command to the associated device, i.e. to razberry, yes?
Ok, But on the razberry side nothing happens. Literally nothing - nothing received, nothing is written to the log (in verbosiest mode). It looks like razbery just occupy a slot in the association group and nothing more.
For me it looks like a bug or mis-feature. If it is not planned to have a reaction to the switch - why associate itself with it?
klirichek

Post by klirichek »

Is any objective answer exists?
Does the razberry catches 'switching commands'?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Z-Way (s/w for RaZberry) tries to get all events and association all devices with itself. But devices might refuse to send events to controller or do some other stuff with these groups, so RaZberry is not to blame for occupying a slot.