What is backup/restore supposed to do?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
pz1

What is backup/restore supposed to do?

Post by pz1 »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but as the forum search is seldomly available, I can't check if it has been addressed. Also the Zway manual says "TODO" for backup/restore.

The point is that I want to start with a clean installation. So-far I have been working with derivatives of 1.3.1.

In my installation I observe all kinds of weird errors for which I can't find the cause. For example after a couple of days running I find that my system hangs and will not restart. Or in a couple of other cases I could not shutdown the Pi, because somehow system files were corrupted. I could see the commands in the directory view, but all specifics were question marks. These instabilities coincide with the the use of the new OpenRemoteHelper modules and version 1.7.x instead of using the older RaZ-OR modules.

Anyhow a couple of days ago, with the Expert GUI, I made a backup of a freshly installed 1.7.1 with all devices functioning en properly included. On the RaZberry site I discovered a complete image wbased on version 1.7.1.
I wrote that image to my SD card, and it started nicely. Of course not with my background images.
So I decided to restore the backup. It started and said something like "wait to complete". I did wait for over an hour still not completed. So I refreshed the screen. All devices had lost their configuration. Force re-interview did not work.

As said by the lack of a manual I just did what looked sensible. Apparantly I did something wrong. But what?
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
pz1

Re: What is backup/restore supposed to do?

Post by pz1 »

Anybody out here who has succesfully used restore function?
pofs

Post by pofs »

Well, the point of backup is just to archive contents of /opt/z-way-server/config folder, no tricks here.

Restore is a bit more complex. When you restore without a checkbox set, it just restores folder contents (counterpart operation of backup). But if you selected the checkbox, it will also physically restore home ID and devices on controller itself, so your network can survive even controller reset.

This feature is not very well tested after all the recent changes, so use it with caution :)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pofs wrote:This feature is not very well tested after all the recent changes, so use it with caution :)
Thanks. I guess I just bumped into one of those failures. As I hate to see myself in the situation again, where I have to uncover all my devices to re-include them, I'll stay away for the time being.