Thermostatic device

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
ewok2

Thermostatic device

Post by ewok2 »

Hello
I would like to control each radiator of my home at distance
about 8 radiator

Some constraint : a interface WAF compatible with temperature ajustable and a night/day button.
after some search I have found some possibilities 4 (or 5) :
1 - head Danfoss living connect + ST814 z-wave + Rasberry with module razberry + relay on the heater + personal box with bouton/diode day/night
the + : danfoss head are pretty ,local control is possible.
the - : thiese head have a PID and the change of threshold is not take into account immediately

2 - head Stella Z + ST814 z-wave + Rasberry with module razberry + relay on the heater + personal box with bouton/diode day/night
the + : head Stella Z seems to use all Z-wave possibility, instantanous time response.
the - : bad quality of head , no local action possible

3 - Pack evohome Honeywell + head THR092 + Rasberry with module razberry + relay on heater
the + : interface WAF ok
the - : same frequency but not Z-wave. Is it connectable to a raspberry

4 - Pack eQ3 Thermostat on wall and head + Rasberry with module razberry + relay on heater
the + : interface WAF correct. Not expensive
the - : same frequency but not Z-wave. Is it connectable to a raspberry

5 - electrical Honeywell actuator mt4 230s + Raspberry with module razberry + relay on heater + personal box with LCD/bouton/diode day / night
the + : everything is manage from the raspberry and it is not expensive
the - : many wire to install.... no local radiator control.

that is all ;-)

option 5 is only if the 4 first are not possible.
If you can correct the + / - and add other

Thanks
Tiptop

Re: Thermostatic device

Post by Tiptop »

For me, your option 1 is no option. I have bought 4 of the ZWave-Versions of the Danfoss and I have finally and once and for all given up with it.
The hardware by itself is fine, so far.
However, the firmware has a MAJOR flaw: As soon as this device loses for some reason the contact to the ZWave controller, it falls into "alarm mode" which can only be recovered by unmounting and mounting the device again.
This is no joke!
The big problem of the "alarm mode" is that it causes the device to permanently stay awake. This drains the batteries within 3-4 days down to zero.
Don't get me wrong: As long as you NEVER restart the ZWave controller or perform an intensive ZWave network operation like "update routes", this device works quite well.
But believe me: You will not get lucky with these devices.
I have finally given up with Danfoss... :x
I am thinking about to throw them away as they are really unusable if you want a reliable system... :cry:

Oh, just to be sure: This is NOT a ZWay or RaZberry problem! Just search through other ZWave forums and you will find endless threads about the Danfoss devices being broken by design.
Simply just don't use them... it is a total waste of money!

The only solution which might work are the StellaZ devices, I haven't tried them yet but will do so quite soon...
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Danfoss has released the LC13 version, which seems to perform better. But I have not seen solid reports of its quality.
I have been plagued so much by my early experiences, and the really obnoxious responses from Danfoss on my problems, that I will never consider them again :evil: Unfortunately they are a dominant player in the Zwave alliance. I do have much more respect for the smaller innovative companies that do remarkable things with a low budget. Those do drive innovation.
I challenge Danfoss to make an offer to all those enthusiasts who trusted their long standing danish quality norms, and make them a trade-inn offer for these heavily flawed devices. (they did not even respond when being asked)
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
ewok2

Post by ewok2 »

On this LC12 -> LC13 modification, from what I have read, it is more correction on the "Panic mode" bug which reduce the battery life...

The LC13 seems to have still only 3 parameters with Z-wave interface :
- battery time
- Get the thershold temperature value
- Set the Thershold temperature value (but at the begining of the PID ? so that some delay befor the action of the thermostic head)

But I agree with you, except with Stella Z (which seems poor quality but open) Danfoss seems to be the better intelectual choice...
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I am happy with my 10 StellaZ devices. Some seem to burn batteries faster than others. I think a major cause of that is the age of the valves(1986), and lime deposits on it. My first StellaZ is a preproduction version which I think is from May 2012
ewok2

Post by ewok2 »

I read that the Stella Z sas poor quality? I mean bad plastic.
Is it your feelings?
What interface do you use to adjust temperature when you need a non plane case?
Only on your computer or a z-wave thermostat?
pz1

Post by pz1 »

ewok2 wrote:I read that the Stella Z sas poor quality? I mean bad plastic.
I can't tell yet if the plastic is bad, but for sure they won't win the beauty contest. After earlier experiences I prefer function over looks though!
Is it your feelings?
My first batch of five have run from 1 - 1.5 year with only minor problems. Mostly caused by a weak background Z-Wave mesh. The installation of two range extenders improved performance dramatically. The unfortunate destination of radiator thermostats is to end up in odd corners off a room in shade of curtains and furniture. The availability of sufficient 'always on' devices is very important for their behaviour.
A second batch of five has been installed three months ago.[/quote]
What interface do you use to adjust temperature when you need a non plane case?
I hardly ever need to adjust temperatures. I do have a modern modulating boiler. It controls the water temperature it is influenced by the core temperature of the house and the outside temperature. I do have a manual control to lower and raise the base line by a few degrees, to compensate for weather conditions like strong winds/directions.
Only on your computer or a z-wave thermostat?
At the moment I occasionally do control it via the Old Expert Interface thermostat settings. I am working on a method to set all thermostats from a single widget in OpenRemote
thermostat.PNG
thermostat.PNG (109.39 KiB) Viewed 10167 times
This image is of a pre-production StellaZ, which reads 0% since december last year, but still functions :D
ewok2

Post by ewok2 »

Ok thanks for the info
but WAF is definitively not meet with Stella Z :-)

I am more and more going to honeywell solution because to many complain on danfoss strange behaviour
but I don't see any way to access the main control throug a raspberry equiped with a device with the same frequency.

Has anybody seen a article talking about control honeywell device with a computer ?
pz1

Post by pz1 »

ewok2 wrote:Has anybody seen a article talking about control honeywell device with a computer ?
The Honeywell protocoll is proprietary. So no luck there until they understand the world of today, which apparantly is too difficult for these big companies
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

I have 12 of the StellaZ running with my system and it works lovely :o)

I control the set point for each TRV and monitor the position opening.

Anything >=50% and I start the boiler.

I've also run the system with the TRV's in direct position control mode and my system controlling the opening via virtual thermostats.

I never lose comms :)

Also of note, that whilst the StellaZ aren't the prettiest, they are nicely designed, especially the quick fitting and removal.

As I recall, no other Z-Wave TRV's provide position feedback, or a duty signal.... and without this, how do you start the boiler?

Neil