My Pi dies after a while

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
Spirit78

My Pi dies after a while

Post by Spirit78 »

Hi!

I am having real difficaulties since some week. My Pi stoppes working. I thought it might have to do with my powersupply and cables, but it turns out that the only way I can get it to boot up and running for at least a couple of hours is with my supply and cable I have always used. I have tried with the original raspberry supply but it doesnt even boot up with it. The one I use is Ikea 3.4 A and a ”better” cable, wich I have used for about 2 years

I have tried to start it with other backups from last Christmas and tried other SD-cards ( Sun Disk class10 ) and an other pi and other Ikea adapter. Nothing works.

The only thing I can come up with is that I upgraded to a newer firmware on the z-way card i advanced mode. But it worked for a couple of weeks, so I havent connected this fault with the upgrade, but now is my ideas running out.

Polto S having any ideas?
enbemokel

Re: My Pi dies after a while

Post by enbemokel »

I´m not Polto, but some questions. Is only z-way-server stopping or all processes?
And, if the whole Pi is dying, what happens if you disconnect the Razberry and try it for a day to see if it is Razberry problem.
This might be, as you upgraded FW.
But I assume that something must get hot on the Raspberry if a 3.4 powersupply stops working....
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

no it doesnt go hot and it sort of halts, and then just stops after a while. And when that happens it doesnt answer to ping even, nor ssh

I have a Logitech Media server on it too, and a program called webmin, But this have all worked fine for at least 1-1.5 years.

When it halts it usually stops answer to eth adress but answers to the wifi-adress, and maybe webmin or/and LMS stops working and later Z-way, or vice versa.
The thing is that I have had trouble with it cracking my SD-Cards for about every 6 month or so. So I finally have googled some and discovered that the red led should always light steady. Mine have always ( I think ?) blinked like a HDD lamp. So I have thought green and red led was Tx and Rx against the SD card :lol:

So I bought a new cable and have tried several other adapters and cables, and the the red light turns steady, but it halts almost direct. So only way for me to get it to start up is to use my Ikea 3,4A and the cable I have used and just accept the blinking red and bricked SD cards ones in a while :roll:
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

Can I downgrade the firmware to z-wave card?
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

One more thing. I have also tried to run it without the z-wave GPIO card to see if it draws to much current. But it doesnt help either.
Besides that I have changed adapter, cables, SD cards, Other full backup img:s

In webmin I can see CPU usage and othe stuff. And everything is normal. CPU uses between 2-30% and memory, 26% of disk and memory usage is about 20%

Edit: I have elso even tried an other pi with no different result. It acts the same
Last edited by Spirit78 on 16 Feb 2019 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

Downgraded the card to 05.27 now from 05.36

Will try it for a while
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

I started up after midnight without eth cable after the downgrade, and everything was working fine, and now in the morning it is all dead again. And a power cycle is needed to start it up again. And most likely it will halt in a couple of hours....
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

I gave up and installed a new .img from z-way instead. Seems to be working fine now. I took backups i Web UI in booth the standard UI and in the Expert UI. It whent ok but some dependenties didnt come along in the rules page. But they werent to much work to fix. I have no clue what have happend, but I suspect it is some update i raspi, webmin or Logitech Media Server that went wrong