How to migrate to Razberry 7

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
seattleneil

Re: How to migrate to Razberry 7

Post by seattleneil »

Adding on to the response by @aLiEnHeAd...

I think most people who purchase a new Razberry 7 board will use the new board to replace an old board. In a very real sense, the procedure for migrating to a new Razberry 7 is the same procedure as dealing with a Razberry board that has had a hardware failure - the desired outcome is to make the new Razberry a clone of the old/broken Razberry. This means the new Razberry will have the same Home ID and Node ID (presumably ID=1) as the old Razberry. Note that you cannot use both Razberry's at the same time on your network since they both have the same Home ID and Node ID. The benefit of cloning is that your Z-Wave devices will not know they're talking to a new controller, which is important for retaining Lifeline associations that only report to Node ID=1. You can still use your old Razberry as a secondary controller on your network, but you will need to do a Controller Factory Default (via Expert UI) and then include it using your new Razberry 7 (on your old Razberry, select Include into Network). Following this procedure, your old Razberry will be given a new Node ID (not ID=1) and the Z-Wave network should operate correctly.

If you simply add your your Razberry 7 as a new primary controller, it will not be assigned Node ID=1 which will mess up any associations your devices have that use Node ID=1. In most cases, this is a significant problem which is why the backup/restore cloning approach is recommended.
harre

Post by harre »

Thanks for the clarification.

I have bought a new raspberry pi and a case where I drilled a hole for the antenna.

I'm planning on using the old one as an extender in my garage.

Is it possible to have this case?

X1====X2
Where X1 is the primary pi and X2 is the secondary and they are just connected by ethernet. Will x2 replicate the z-wave signals x1 receive and in opposite direction?
harre

Post by harre »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gqnec9RWpKkWbAB37
I'm quite happy with the result.
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

That looks nice and tidy :)
I'd prefer my aerial to be further away from the interference of the Raspberry.
I might be wrong. it might make no difference at all.

if it works, it's good.
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

harre wrote:
17 Mar 2022 21:10
Thanks for the clarification.

I have bought a new raspberry pi and a case where I drilled a hole for the antenna.

I'm planning on using the old one as an extender in my garage.

Is it possible to have this case?

X1====X2
Where X1 is the primary pi and X2 is the secondary and they are just connected by ethernet. Will x2 replicate the z-wave signals x1 receive and in opposite direction?
What you would want is to use the remote z-way controller app. You have two separate Z-Wave networks but whatever system you designate as the main system will know of all of it's devices as well as all of the remote z-way devices.
ScotsDon

Post by ScotsDon »

I am trying to upgrade from a series 500 Razberry to a Razberry7. First, on power up I get only a very short flash from the on-board LED(s). Poltos says above this is normal. I get the Expert UI web page and the controller info which says "Z-Wave Chip: ZW0700", so I assume I am connected.

Secondly, I took a backup in Expert UI from my old Series 500 Razberry, powered off the Pi, swopped the board, powered on and did a restore using the Expert UI, as per the post above (by aLiEnHeAd), but I get no devices (as reported above by augustinus). I re-tried it, clicking on the dangerous-sounding "Also restore network topology information (please read the user manual first!)". This worked. And I can operate the devices (I've tried 2).

I am unclear what the "network topology" is exactly. The manual says "A checkbox defines if the node information in the Z-Wave chip itself will be overwritten as well. This operation result in a possible loss of all network relationships and may require a re-inclusion of devices. Handle with care!" A little more explation would be helpful.
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

Network topology is the data stored for your wireless devices.
What is stored in the Expert UI backup. the .zbk file
If you restore the whole system from a .zab file and include 'Network Topology'
It will restore the device/control settings and also the devices (meaning you won't have to re-interview them again)
Upgrade to a raz7. Should do it with restore with network topology. (no need for .zbk file, just a backup)
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38