Razberry 7 Pro is not recognized

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
dantoine

Razberry 7 Pro is not recognized

Post by dantoine »

Hello, I bought a new Razberry 7 Pro and connected it to a Raspberry Pi 4. I installed Bullseye completely fresh and then installed Z-Way using " wget -qO - https://storage.z-wave.me/RaspbianInstall | sudo bash". Unfortunately, however, the controller does not seem to be recognized, although it is correctly mounted via " /dev/ttyAMA0". I only get the following error message which can be seen in the picture. Can someone possibly help me?
Attachments
A4C2F98E-3A4C-4D42-A8E4-257A12D8CBB9.jpeg
A4C2F98E-3A4C-4D42-A8E4-257A12D8CBB9.jpeg (339.51 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Raspi 4 - (bullseye) Zwave Version 3.2.3 Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.13
seattleneil

Re: Razberry 7 Pro is not recognized

Post by seattleneil »

A couple of suggestions...

1. To confirm the serial port has been detected by the kernel, from shell prompt, run: dmesg | grep AMA0
You should see output for ttyAMA0.

2. To check if there's another process accessing /dev/ttyAMA0 (which is bad), from shell prompt run: sudo lsof -n | grep AMA0
You should only see the z-way-server process listed (there should be multiple threads, all belonging to the same process z-way-server process) - this assumes the z-way-server process is running.

3. Check the log file (/var/log/z-way-server.log) to see the error messages from Z-Way. You will likely need to stop and re-start z-way-server.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

Just to add on to what SeattleNeil has provided. Have you disabled bluetooth via the config file?

As a purchaser of seven Razberry 7 Pro's but only the owner of five Razberry 7 Pro's, not every board works. ;)
dantoine

Post by dantoine »

I have now found the error. To protect the SD card, I use Berryboot to boot from a USB hard drive. Obviously with Berryboot you have to adjust the config.txt file with the following values directly before the installation:
[pi4]
arm_boost=1

[all]
dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
After the subsequent Z-Way installation it then also finds the controller.
Raspi 4 - (bullseye) Zwave Version 3.2.3 Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.13
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

The arm_boot only works on some Pi 4's and has nothing to do with the Razberry boards. Also the dtoverlay command is required for all systems and has nothing to do with Berryboot at all. The only image that it is not required is the image from Z-Wave.me as they already have it configured. Also there is a newer command:

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=miniuart-bt
seattleneil

Post by seattleneil »

Regarding /boot/config.txt, I added the following lines (under [all]) on my Pi 4:
dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtoverlay=disable-wifi
dtparam=sd_poll_once=on

The first 2 lines are self-explanatory - I don't use Bluetooth or WiFi on my RaZberry and disabling these 2 features avoids loading of unnecessary kernel modules. The last line is a Pi magic incantation for reducing CPU load when booting from a USB drive. Without this option, the kernel constantly checks for the presence of an SD card which adds a significant processing load on the CPU. With this option, the presence of an SD card is only checked once. You may want to try out this option (reboot your Pi and compare the CPU load with and without this option) - I think you'll be happy with the results.

On a tangent...

I boot from a USB SSD for reliability and have been happy with this drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PXCYCX1

Unlike an SD card, this drive supports SMART which should reduce the likelihood for an unexpected disk error since the drive is being monitored via smartmontools (at least in theory). As an added benefit, the SSD read/write times are much faster than an SD card.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

I also do the same with disabling WiFi.

The BT some people want or need it so there is an option to keep it and use the Razberry boards.