MCO MH-DT411

Discussions about existing Z-Wave device and their usage with Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
topcatsss

MCO MH-DT411

Post by topcatsss »

Hi there

i can't find this device in the Device Description list

Dimmer Switch MH-DT411

How can one add the device so it can be configured nicely?

I have the PDF with all the information (but apparently uploading a 1.8mb pdf is not allowed ;( )

Below is the ZDDX

Code: Select all

<ZWaveDevice xmlns="http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/xml-schemata/z-wave" schemaVersion="2">
	<descriptorVersion>1</descriptorVersion>
	<deviceData>
		<manufacturerId value="015f"/>
		<productType value="d411"/>
		<productId value="5102"/>
		<libType value="03"/>
		<protoVersion value="04"/>
		<protoSubVersion value="3e"/>
		<appVersion value="03"/>
		<appSubVersion value="03"/>
		<basicClass value="04"/>
		<genericClass value="11"/>
		<specificClass value="01"/>
		<optional value="true"/>
		<listening value="true"/>
		<routing value="true"/>
		<beamSensor>0</beamSensor>
	</deviceData>
	<deviceDescription>
		<description>
			<lang xml:lang="en"/>
		</description>
		<wakeupNote>
		</wakeupNote>
		<inclusionNote>
		</inclusionNote>
		<productName/>
		<brandName/>
		<productVersion>3.3</productVersion>
	</deviceDescription>
	<commandClasses>
		<commandClass id="0020" version="2" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0026" version="2" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="002b" version="1" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="002c" version="1" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0032" version="3" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0059" version="1" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="005a" version="1" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="005e" version="2" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0070" version="1" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0071" version="4" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0072" version="2" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0073" version="1" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="007a" version="4" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0085" version="2" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
		<commandClass id="0086" version="2" supported="true" controlled="false" secure="false" inNIF="true"/>
	</commandClasses>
	<assocGroups>
		<assocGroup number="1" maxNodes="1">
			<description>
				<lang xml:lang="en">Group 1</lang>
			</description>
		</assocGroup>
		<assocGroup number="2" maxNodes="5">
			<description>
				<lang xml:lang="en">Group 2</lang>
			</description>
		</assocGroup>
		<assocGroup number="3" maxNodes="5">
			<description>
				<lang xml:lang="en">Group 3</lang>
			</description>
		</assocGroup>
		<assocGroup number="4" maxNodes="5">
			<description>
				<lang xml:lang="en">Group 4</lang>
			</description>
		</assocGroup>
	</assocGroups>
</ZWaveDevice>
seattleneil

Re: MCO MH-DT411

Post by seattleneil »

ZDDX .xml files are maintained by the Z-Way developers. As you noted, ZDDX .xml files provide the Z-Way UI with user-friendly information about configuration options and association groups. From a practical standpoint, requiring the Z-Way developers to maintain a device-specific file for every new Z-Wave device is a giant pain in the neck. To make the situation even worse, a new version of device firmware can require maintaining device-specific and version-specific files. The only good news to the ZDDX file maintenance nightmare is that newer versions of the Z-Wave standard allow the firmware itself to contain user-friendly configuration options descriptions and association group descriptions. The newer Z-Wave standards eliminate the need for Z-Way developers to maintain ZDDX files for those devices where the firmware contains the user-friendly information.

Unfortunately, the firmware in the MCO MH-DT411 does not contain the user-friendly information for configuration options and association groups. This means a ZDDX device file is required. One approach is that you could create a custom ZDDX .xml file, test it and then request the Z-way developers to add the file to their repository of ZDDX files. Be sure to run "python ./MakeIndex.py" so that your custom ZDDX .xml file is recognized by Z-Way.

If you're not willing to create and test a custom ZDDX file, then you'll need to make a request for the Z-Way developers to create the ZDDX file and be patient.

If you're willing to go to the effort to create a custom ZDDX .xml file, I suggest starting by taking the ZDDX output you provided and replace "Group 1" descriptive text with something like "Group 1 for Lifeline", "Group 2" with "Group 2 for Multilevel", etc. Once you understand how to create the .xml file and customize the association group information, you can tackle the configuration options information. I suggest you look at this .xml file as an example: 910-0178-5343-4735-04-06-51-00-00.xml (be sure to use an xml pretty printer to nicely parse the example file). Using the example file as a template, I then suggest converting the zwave-js device file for the for MCO MH-DT411 (https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave- ... ces/0x015f, file: mh-dt311_411.json) which is written in JSON format to Z-Way's xml format.

Good luck.
topcatsss

Post by topcatsss »

Hi there

Yes quite happy to start to dig into this, and share the results.

You mentioned the 910-0178-5343-4735-04-06-51-00-00.xml file, where is this?

I'm guessing somewhere this is a nice document outlining the build/publish process :)
seattleneil

Post by seattleneil »

For linux-based Z-Way versions, the ZDDX files are in directory /opt/z-way-server/ZDDX. There are over 4000 .xml files. The 910-0178-5343-4735-04-06-51-00-00.xml file is simply 1 of the .xml files that has a lot of values populated. The purpose behind my suggestion was to not have to start from an empty .xml file.

You wrote:
I'm guessing somewhere this is a nice document outlining the build/publish process
The on-line version of the Z-Way user manual is here: https://z-wave.me/files/manual/z-way/#

Unfortunately, the process for creating a ZDDX file does not appear to be documented. The good news is that if you're comfortable with editing xml, the learning curve is pretty easy to climb.
piet66

Post by piet66 »

I once faced the same problem and reported my findings here at the time:

[HowTo] create a correct device description (xml, ZDDX)
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster, 32bit)
RaZberry by Z-Wave.Me ZW0700 7.20.00 07.38/1766938484 1025/257
Z-Way version v4.1.2 from 2023-10-18 03:34:26 +0300