Multilevel Switch Start Level Change Command

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
A.Harrenberg

Multilevel Switch Start Level Change Command

Post by A.Harrenberg »

Hi PoltoS,

I have two very detailed questions...

The Multilevel Switch Start Level Change Command allow starting a transition (dimming) and also has a "start level" as a parameter. There is also a bit telling wheter or not the receiving device should ignore the start level or not.

The definition in the specifications says:
A receiving device SHOULD respect the start level if the Ignore Start Level bit is 0.
A receiving device MUST ignore the start level if the Ignore Start Level bit is 1.
I am only testing with the user-LED and it is not easy to see, but I seems that the Z-Uno is not considering the start level, even with the bit at 0, which is still good in terms of the specification as it only says "should". Could you please confirm that?

The second question is comming from that I noticed that a lot of reports are generated during such a dimming. Is there a rule or specification how many reports should be generated, or a limit that should be considered? If I think of an secured device, where each "normal" transmission will result in three secured transmissions, then it will be a lot of messages going around.

The public specification doesn't contain informations about that this command is generating reports, and in fact I was not expecting them...

It would be glad if you could give me some explanations here as well.

Thanks,
Andreas.
fhem.de - ZWave development support
PoltoS

Re: Multilevel Switch Start Level Change Command

Post by PoltoS »

I confirm, we ignore it as it makes things more complicated, while in most cases people want to continue from last state.

We do send a confirmation every 5% (not sure) step. This is to allow showing smooth dimming in the UI. May be it is a bit too much, may be we will change to 10%. Should not really flood the network. May be we will change it in future to a more graceful implementation.
A.Harrenberg

Re: Multilevel Switch Start Level Change Command

Post by A.Harrenberg »

Hi PoltoS,
PoltoS wrote:I confirm, we ignore it as it makes things more complicated, while in most cases people want to continue from last state.
thanks for the confirmation and I agree that this would be the use-case in 99.9%, I can't think of any reason someone want to start at a different level than the current one...
PoltoS wrote: We do send a confirmation every 5% (not sure) step. This is to allow showing smooth dimming in the UI. May be it is a bit too much, may be we will change to 10%. Should not really flood the network. May be we will change it in future to a more graceful implementation.
Maybe if you implement V2, then there is a transition time, you can make it dependend on the current change rate. So, fast dimming does not need much upates, slow dimming can have more updates as there will be less message per time.

Regards,
Andreas.
fhem.de - ZWave development support