Sleeping Z-Uno - Power consumption

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
jucs

Re: Sleeping Z-Uno - Power consumption

Post by jucs »

Really, these measurements where taken with R12 in place? 23uA would be totally cool :-) Thanks, I'll test it!
jucs

Post by jucs »

Indeed, my measurements show the same; that's amazing! I'd be interested in how this works given that the DC-DC converter is connected and should also draw power.
michap

Post by michap »

The chip itself take <10uA.
Some small current is going back to the DC-DC converter, but this is only leak current.
DC-DC converter itself is off.

I have same experience with other units I made.

Michael
cscott

Post by cscott »

What's the actual min/max *voltage* on the battery connector? It doesn't seem to be documented on the official site anywhere. From the discussion above I get that the min voltage is around 3.1V? What's the allowable maximum voltage?
michap

Post by michap »

Please check the online manual - here you see the ranges ;)

https://z-uno.z-wave.me/files/z-uno/QSG ... -Guide.pdf

Best regards
Michael
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

The ZM5101 module on the Z-Uno requires a power supply 2.3-3.6V (reported on te spec sheet of this module). Usually a 3.3 V CMOS chip can survive a higher voltage for a short time, but it is not supposed to operate at higher voltages. Conclusion: this module can operate from any primary lithium cell. Is a rechargeable cell OK? If the cell is resting, it is OK. But if you are charging it, while it is connected to the board, voltage can rise up to 4.2 - 4.3 V. Will the chip survive? I am not sure, and I am not going to try that... Does this help?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

The lower limit is 2.8 V (below the EEPROM dies) and the upper is about 3.6 V. I would not suggest to try higher voltage.
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

Ah, the EEPROM, thanks for bringing that up. I see, so the usable range is 2.8 - 3.6 V. If someone wants to charge a cell in-circuit, you would have to do something to limit the upper voltage... Maybe use a low quiescent regulator, like XC6206 or equivalent.