[HowTo] Send status updates as UDP messages

Tips, Tricks and Scripts to enhance your home automation and workaround known device bugs, limitations and incompatibilities
pz1

Re: [HowTo] Send status updates as UDP messages

Post by pz1 »

pofs wrote:subscription for future zwave binding creation
Thanks that clarifies it for me
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pofs wrote:It is not very well tested yet, but for sending UDP message you can use the following code:

Code: Select all

var sock = new sockets.udp();
sock.sendto("Hello", "192.168.0.1", 1234);
With the CodeDevice module I did create a toggleButton with a variant of the above code. The message was properly received by the UDPListener at the OpenRemote side. Nice simple test for this communication channel!
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I have updated the Recipe in the first post. Instead of using netcat via a system call, the JS now calls sockets directly. Looks to run faster, but definitely easier to maintain.
icefluffy

Post by icefluffy »

Continuation of discussion on: http://www.openremote.org/display/forum ... t-23599520

The next problem I run in to is my Open Remote controller complaining about java classes...
Am I using the wrong version of java for drools?

DEPLOYING NEW CONTROLLER RUNTIME...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR 2015-06-12 11:07:25,914 : Error in rule definition 'UDPListener.drl' : wrong class format
java.lang.RuntimeException: wrong class format
at org.drools.commons.jci.compilers.EclipseJavaCompiler$2.findType(EclipseJavaCompiler.java:260)
at org.drools.commons.jci.compilers.EclipseJavaCompiler$2.findType(EclipseJavaCompiler.java:217)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.askForType(LookupEnvironment.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.PackageBinding.getTypeOrPackage(PackageBinding.java:183)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.Scope.getPackage(Scope.java:2283)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.QualifiedTypeReference.getTypeBinding(QualifiedTypeReference.java:69)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeReference.internalResolveType(TypeReference.java:130)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeReference.resolveType(TypeReference.java:197)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.LocalDeclaration.resolve(LocalDeclaration.java:138)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.AbstractMethodDeclaration.resolveStatements(AbstractMethodDeclaration.java:447)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.MethodDeclaration.resolveStatements(MethodDeclaration.java:189)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.AbstractMethodDeclaration.resolve(AbstractMethodDeclaration.java:406)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration.resolve(TypeDeclaration.java:1131)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration.resolve(TypeDeclaration.java:1219)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.CompilationUnitDeclaration.resolve(CompilationUnitDeclaration.java:528)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.process(Compiler.java:759)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:464)
at org.drools.commons.jci.compilers.EclipseJavaCompiler.compile(EclipseJavaCompiler.java:351)
at org.drools.commons.jci.compilers.AbstractJavaCompiler.compile(AbstractJavaCompiler.java:51)
at org.drools.rule.builder.dialect.java.JavaDialect.compileAll(JavaDialect.java:389)
at org.drools.compiler.DialectCompiletimeRegistry.compileAll(DialectCompiletimeRegistry.java:56)
at org.drools.compiler.PackageRegistry.compileAll(PackageRegistry.java:74)
at org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder.compileAll(PackageBuilder.java:677)
at org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder.addPackage(PackageBuilder.java:640)
at org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder.addPackageFromDrl(PackageBuilder.java:266)
at org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder.addKnowledgeResource(PackageBuilder.java:458)
at org.drools.builder.impl.KnowledgeBuilderImpl.add(KnowledgeBuilderImpl.java:28)
at org.openremote.controller.statuscache.rules.RuleEngine.getValidKnowledgePackages(RuleEngine.java:498)
at org.openremote.controller.statuscache.rules.RuleEngine.start(RuleEngine.java:253)
at org.openremote.controller.statuscache.EventProcessorChain.start(EventProcessorChain.java:112)
at org.openremote.controller.statuscache.StatusCache.start(StatusCache.java:120)
at org.openremote.controller.deployer.Version20ModelBuilder.buildSensorModel(Version20ModelBuilder.java:659)
at org.openremote.controller.deployer.Version20ModelBuilder.build(Version20ModelBuilder.java:557)
at org.openremote.controller.deployer.AbstractModelBuilder.buildModel(AbstractModelBuilder.java:154)
at org.openremote.controller.service.Deployer.startup(Deployer.java:858)
at org.openremote.controller.service.Deployer.softRestart(Deployer.java:440)
at org.openremote.controller.service.Deployer$ControllerDefinitionWatch.run(Deployer.java:1324)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
Caused by: org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.classfmt.ClassFormatException
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.classfmt.ClassFileReader.<init>(ClassFileReader.java:372)
at org.drools.commons.jci.compilers.EclipseJavaCompiler$2.findType(EclipseJavaCompiler.java:254)
... 37 more
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Actually this question is better dealt with on the OpenRemote forum because I know very little about Java and Drools. Michal Rutka is the best person to answer this question. Sorry to kick you back and forward :mrgreen:

My present OR controller is Pro 1.1.1 beta that I got a long time ago from Eric Barieaux. I think this version has not been released yet. My installation is on Synology 212+ where I have Oracle's Java SE Embedded 7.

The UDP rule is the only Drools I still use because that is the only way to communicate UDP {sensor,value}-pairs to OpenRemote. All my other rules have been transformed in Z-Way modules. I have submitted a request to make an adaptation to OpenRemote's UDPListener to accomodate this directly, but on past experience I doubt that will ever be implemented
Isaksson

Post by Isaksson »

Hello.
Iam testing your code to send out UDP message when a device changes state. My test is on a Fibaro Wall Plug (SwitchBinary.data.level) and i receive UDP message at change so it seems to work as it should. (if i push the button on the device)

But one thing that is troubling me is that if i click the Update button on the Expert user interface for this device then i will recieve a couple of more UDP messages that is telling me the status, and also if i change the state on the device on Expert user interface then i will first receive current state and then the state it was changed to.

Is there a better way to listen for devices that only sends out the changes and not all updates?
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I vaguely remember getting many messages in the past. I then fiddled a bit with the Fibaro settings, which reduced the "noise". If I find the time I'll see if I can set up some logging at the receiver end
Isaksson

Post by Isaksson »

Thanks.
Of course it would be possible to filter at the receiving end but it would be a much better way to filter them before they go out.
And the best would be if there is a function built in that only trigger when there is a change not on update.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I am not advocating such a filter. I only meant to say that I will try to get some logging to see if I can observe what you report. I don't see it in my Z-Way logs
Isaksson

Post by Isaksson »

I could try with some other devices to, to see if this is Fibaro specific.

Iam using a simple UDP server that is listening on the port that i set up in the js file, so i am not doing any filtering either.

Edit:
Everspring AN157 have the same issue as my Fibaro Wall Plug.
If i push update in gui then it will trigger one or two UDP messages, and same if i change state with gui.