Z-wave Alarm system, first steps

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
cpighin

Z-wave Alarm system, first steps

Post by cpighin »

:) I have just learned the basics of the system Z-way and I did the first step in automation (viewtopic.php?f=3419&t=21445). Now I would like to make another step realizing a very simple alarm system with a few magnetic contacts and a z-wave lock.

I ask you tips on what hardware I should buy and how to proceed.
Currently I have:
- 1 Raspberry Pi Model B
- 1 Module 1 RaZberry
- 1 double-switch Fibaro FIB_FGS-221
- 1 Fibaro Motion Sensor
- Some standard magnetic contacts

I thought to buy the Yale Security YRD220-ZW-619 lock, but I can change.

I imagine that the lock can be managed directly from the module RaZberry, while contacts no. What shall I get to manage them?

Thanks for your tips. Claudio :)
xchatter

Re: Z-wave Alarm system, first steps

Post by xchatter »

For door/window sensors, a good deal is Everspring HSM02 Z-Wave Mini Door / Window Sensor.
It is on ebay for 30 bucks. I can't share how they behave since i don't have one of them. :) Just sharing.
if in EU -> VISION ZD 2102EU-5 Z-WAVE PLUS

I also use a Fibaro sensor.
xchatter

Post by xchatter »

Hi,
As we talked in PM, i write here my example of an alarm system. :)

I use Fibaro Multisensor and now I am buying Everspring HSM02 Z-Wave Mini Door / Window Sensor or similar EU variant(i suppose you mean something similar by basic magnetic contacts).
1. The fibaro sensor motion parameter is either false or true, it goes "true" whenever motion is detected. So I make a bind to this value and every time it is triggered(true), a certain action(JS) is executed(same will do with the open/close sensors).
2. The action in my case is making a request to a PHP script giving the true value. The PHP script takes it and checks if the alarm is turned ON(more on that below) and if it's ON, it sends an email message telling that there is movement/breach in the security. This can be replaced with whatever you can think of, I just use it that way.

About the turning ON/OFF of the so called "alarm system":
I am controlling it with emails telling it to turn on/off.
1.When I am going away, I send a specific email to tell the automation to turn ON the alarm. This basicly overwrites a parameter in my DB to value 1. So when the motion is triggered and the binding is executed(explained in the above section), the PHP script will see that that this parameter is 1 and will send the alarm email telling that something happened.
2.When coming back, I send a certain email to tell the automation to turn off the alarm. This overwrites the parameter to 0, and when the binding fires on movement detection and the PHP script checks the parameter, it won't send alarm emails telling that movement is detected.

*note: The binding on movement is always triggered, no matter the alarm is ON/OFF. This brings the need to this additional parameter I use. When it's 0, then I am home and no need to spam on motion detection. When it's 1, then I am away and if something moves, the alarm must fire off and send notification.

The door/window sensors will work the same way. If the alarm is ON and some of the sensors is reporting "OPEN" state, the alarm must fire and do the stuff you programmed.
cpighin

Post by cpighin »

:) Thanks to xchatter for his post ;)

I think that you are giving very good tips for a next step in what I intend to do as a priority.
For this reason I will not use your tips for the moment, but I think they will be very useful later on and I would appreciate very much if you write a step by step guide on the subject, complete with your php script.
xchatter wrote:I use Fibaro Multisensor and now I am buying Everspring HSM02 Z-Wave Mini Door / Window Sensor or similar EU variant(i suppose you mean something similar by basic magnetic contacts).
For "standard magnetic contacts" I intend the non Z-wave ones (wired). Dolam recommended me to connect them to a Fibaro sensor FIB_FGBS-001 which will communicate to the Razberry notifying the status of the circuit (consisting of a pair of magnetic contacts in series): open (ON), closed (OFF).

I purchased the small device and in few days I will prove it. Then I will report on this topic.

Claudio :)
cpighin

Z-wave Alarm system, first success

Post by cpighin »

Here is the description of the first success:

the multisensor FGBS-001 communicates to the controller the status of a circuit of magnetic switches in series.

In the image is shown the Universal Binary sensor FGBS-001, which is connected to the power supply, 2 magnetic reed switches (one with closed contact, the other open).
With a tester and also through the interface HA, I verified that if the two magnets are close to the switch (closed circuit), then the output 1 is Off,
instead, if one of the magnets is moved away (open circuit), then the output 1 is On (can therefore control a warning device).

Suggestions and improvements are always welcome;)

Claudio :)
Mike Yeager

Post by Mike Yeager »

I have an Everspring door / window sensor sitting on my desk. It will likely stay there as I had nothing but problems with the batteries in it. They didn't seem to stay connected and the sensor showed as "dead" quite often.