Upgrade to 2.2.2 started the downfall of my system

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jstaffon

Upgrade to 2.2.2 started the downfall of my system

Post by jstaffon »

I also have a post about an error associated with the Javascript mod app. Since I wasn't running the latest release, I decided to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.2.2 to see if it fixed the problem. Huge mistake! I have had a working system for over a year and now everything has a mind of its own. The upgrade to 2.2.2 hung and then everything went downhill from there. The z-way-server wouldn't start and I don't have access to the UI, Expert UI or the Razberry Configuration UI on port 8084. Absolutely nothing works! I've tried to downgrade to previous versions and I have the same problem. I've also tried to fix the Webif problem I'm getting on port 8084 by writing the timeout (as posted) into the json file but it keeps getting automatically deleted. I tried doing an "apt-get dist-upgrade" but still have the same result. This may be one of many problems but the OS seems to be deleting files that I create in the z-way-server folder. I'm not even sure where to start or what question to ask. I'm very, very confused. Please help!
equathza

Re: Upgrade to 2.2.2 started the downfall of my system

Post by equathza »

As I've got my system broken down also, you should get yourself familiar with making a SSH connection to your raspberry pi using i.e. putty (freeware)

on SSH the command prompt you can enable your webui using the following command:

Code: Select all

echo 100000 > /opt/z-way-server/automation/storage/8084AccessTimeout-6b497208061ec7faae003cdd7f9a035e.json
If that doesn't work you can work-a-round using a sudo bash

I've read downgrading will work, please refrain for starting from scratch as I seem unable to get a fresh prepared SD card working with any version 2.x
-> A fellow Z-way user running a network of 50+ devices
jstaffon

Post by jstaffon »

Thanks for the reply. Long story short, I've lost previous versions of the server. I got clever (I thought) and created a soft link (ln) to previous versions to test them and ended up doing an upgrade with the soft link still in tact. That wrote over my working version by accident. ... stupid mistake. I've basically started over and have also found that the v2.1.1 that I had working just fine before upgrading to v2.2.2 doesn't work anymore. I'm at a point where I'm trying to get the z-way server to start. It ends up in an endless loop of starting and stopping the server following a reboot. Not sure where to look for error messages. Nothing appears in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog related to the server. Any help there would be appreciated.

With regards to your suggestions. I've been using ssh from my Mac and Linux boxes. That seems to work quite well for remote access. Believe it or not (based on me hosing my installation) I'm an accomplished Linux user and admin. I'm starting from scratch trying to go one step at a time. The first step is understanding why the server dies immediately upon startup.

I tried to echo the timeout into the json file you mentioned. For some reason the file appears ... then is removed by either the Linux OS or the z-way software.

Very interesting problem to solve. I'm not up on Debian based Linux so it's taking me longer to resolve OS related stuff.

I don't suppose you could tar or gzip a working version of 2.1 or 1.7 and send it to me... looks like it's around 50 M. I'm told everything is within the /opt/z-way-server folder but I'm suspicious that may not be the case.
jstaffon

Post by jstaffon »

UPDATE: My looping problem with starting and stopping the z-way-server is a result of a script called "readKey" that gets automatically started on startup or reboot. For some reason, a variable in the script continues to increment until it calls a few routines that resets the z-way-server folder back to factory. It's actually labeled "Factory Reset" in the script. I removed that script from the autostart folder (/etc/init.d) and the z-way-server starts normally. Everything seems to work but that script must have some function. I've posted a couple posts in different areas to find out the purpose and normal, intended operations but no one has replied yet. Contact me if you want more details. Thanks.
jstaffon

Post by jstaffon »

UPDATE: I've traced the readKey problem/culprit to the GPIO Pin 4 value/variable. Pin 4 seems to be the GPCLK0. The script looks for this value to change from "0" to another value...I'm assuming "1". I modified the readKey script so while looping through I print the value out to the console, the value never changes to a nonzero value. What is suppose to make it change? As long as it stays "0", it will perform a Factory Reset and remove everything from the .../automation/storage and .../automation/userModules directories/folders...amongst other things. Can anyone help? What is suppose to make it change to a nonzero value? ... or is the script wrong? I've even tried emailing the creator of the script....no response as of yet.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Please remove the /etc/init.d/readKey script until we fix it

More info here: https://github.com/Z-Wave-Me/z-way-issues/issues/105