Razberry Range?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
Aegis

Re: Razberry Range?

Post by Aegis »

I would also say you should consider replacing the board. I have the older version with shorter range and it easily covers my entire mid-sized apartment with plenty of concrete walls. The updated board should cover an even larger area. If not then it's either something wrong with the board or possibly your Rasperry Pi.
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

If you soldered the antenna/cable correct and nothing changes, the there might be a problem with
some component on the board. Also this antenna modification was mentioned for the old board, your
new version should work out of the box.
Try to get another one to compare.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

@JHCain the range should be at least 100ft! you use a very new model with a very good antenna.

Please make sure your board have correct SAW filter. What is your region? What freqnecy is set in the controller?
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

I'm about to give up on this thing. New board (which I got to pay for) arrived today - same issue. Seems to SEND z-wave fine, the devices react appropriately. It just doesn't get return commands very well at all - If the z-wave devices is VERY close (within a meter or two, max), it seems to work, but not reliably. Any farther, nothing.

This board didn't work at all (with my homeseer install) when it arrived. I booted it up on another OS with the z-wave.me utilities, and it had been shipped set to EU. I changed it to US, and got it to function as I describe above - not very well at all.

I hope I'm missing some hidden setting somewhere, otherwise I've got 2 boards for the trash.
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

Well, if nothing else, this Smartstick+ usb device is working swell so far... I'd still like to know what's up with the Razberry, though...
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Please read the mark on the crystal. If it is E, you have European boards. Where have you bought them? For US you need boards with U.
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

PoltoS wrote:Please read the mark on the crystal. If it is E, you have European boards. Where have you bought them? For US you need boards with U.
Greetings!

They both have U.

The first board was purchased via Amazon, the 2nd from z-wave.us. Interesting that the Amazon and z-wave.us web sites both show a board that looks different from what I have. Mine have the obvious "detach" points to separate the on PCB antenna from the board. The pictured boards do not.

Odd. Very odd.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

The new board looks like this:
New RaZberry 2
New RaZberry 2
13192_0.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
You should have this

Older boards are like this:
Old RaZberry
Old RaZberry
8c1256eae3.png (241.91 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
On those images both have E mark. US it should be marked as U.

Right now everything looks ok, so the range problem should be from some other source. Can you tell us up to which range is it working for you?
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

I have the latest board(s) then. Range is roughly 3-4 meters, in the same room. Again, it seems to send commands to devices at decent range. I have one z-wave device in a separate building, and it responds to commands sent, but the responses are obviously lost. It's the reception that seems broken...
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

Hi, can you try this in another enviroment? Maybe you have strong interference in your actual tests.