[Android] Habitat - Open Beta test

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Aegis

[Android] Habitat - Open Beta test

Post by Aegis »

Hi all!

Habitat is the name of an Android app I've been working on for a little while now and I figured it's time to share my progress so far.

Habitat is a Z-Way client app that will let you control your Z-way devices from a nice, smooth and fast app with upcoming features such as automation, virtual devices, etc. The app is currently far from feature complete or bug free but since I only have a limited subset of Z-way devices it would be great to get some feedback and suggestions from the Z-way community.

If you have an Android device running Android 6.0 or newer and a Z-way controller such as the Razberry or equivalent running the latest firmware version, then you can opt in to the alpha test using this link. After opting in you can find the app on Google Play.

Again, please remember that this is very much work in progress but Im hoping you will see the potential this app has!

Note that there are currently some bugs and quirks with the ZAutomation API which leads to some issues in the app. One example is that with the latest Z-Way update, the API no longer seems to respect the time argument when fetching events.

At any rate, please give the app a whirl and let me know what you think! Updates will be pushed out quite frequently with new functionality and bug fixes.

Note: As there is no welcome wizard implemented yet, the first thing you want to do is go to settings and set the correct network parameters for your Z-way controller.

Cheers all!
Attachments
device-2017-02-13-185935.png
device-2017-02-13-185935.png (174.88 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
Last edited by Aegis on 27 Dec 2017 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
fez

Re: [Android] Habitat - Open Alpha test

Post by fez »

Android 5.1 is still not supported.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Correct. Android 6.0 and newer only for now.
Minux

Post by Minux »

Hello, i like your app design.
- Is it possible to split the devices list in two columns ?
- When you click on a device, on the control screen, can you make the room title clickable ? for example to access directly to this room or to show the other devices of this room.
- On the device control screen can you add another title to show other caracteristics of this device. For example power consumption.

The last thing :) , on rooms screen; how can i mix stock z-way images and my location image, I use both. ?

Are you alone to work on this project ? it could be a good idea to join your project with colin.cachia project.
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f=3419&t=23983
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Minux wrote:Hello, i like your app design.
- Is it possible to split the devices list in two columns ?
- When you click on a device, on the control screen, can you make the room title clickable ? for example to access directly to this room or to show the other devices of this room.
- On the device control screen can you add another title to show other caracteristics of this device. For example power consumption.

The last thing :) , on rooms screen; how can i mix stock z-way images and my location image, I use both. ?

Are you alone to work on this project ? it could be a good idea to join your project with colin.cachia project.
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f=3419&t=23983
Thanks for the useful feedback. Ill look into adding the features you suggested. I will absolutely add the ability to click room titles!

Currently, there is no way to mix stock z-way images with your own images. I will investigate the matter and see if I can come up with an elegant solution though.

Thanks again!
Minux

Post by Minux »

i have decided to doing my own app.
this is my code to get image room url :
http://192.168.1.16:8083/ZAutomation/api/v1/locations/1
You get :
{
data: {
id: 1,
title: "Météo",
user_img: "appli_07082012_logo_1344354505.jpg",
default_img: "",
img_type: "user"
},
code: 200,
error: null
}

public static final String IMAGE_USER_URL = "/ZAutomation/api/v1/load/image/";

public static final String IMAGE_DEFAULT_URL = "/smarthome/storage/img/rooms/";

public String getImg(Context context) {
if ("user".equals(imgType) && StringUtils.isNotEmpty(userImg)) {
return Preference.getZwayAddress(context) + IMAGE_USER_URL + userImg;
} else if ("default".equals(imgType) && StringUtils.isNotEmpty(defaultImg)) {
return Preference.getZwayAddress(context) + IMAGE_DEFAULT_URL + defaultImg;
}
return "";
}
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Hello again!

It's been a while so I figured it's time for another update. Habitat is still being actively developed something those of you using the alpha version would know. Some of the recent additions include a setup wizard and a simple automation engine that lets you quickly and easily schedule device commands either once or recurring. The next update will include support for push notifications. This means you can get notified when a specific device state changes the moment it happens. You can tune which devices to receive notifications from and what conditions you want to filter. Speaking of recent updates the app no longer stores your Z-way credentials in plain text anywhere. They are encrypted at rest with the Android keystore.

The last major component I'm working on is a dashboard screen which will take over as the main landing page within the app. I am a bit torn on whether to base it on the Z-way smarthome dashboard data or whether to create a more custom modular dashboard with some smartness integrated.

I also have a couple of surprises coming up that I'm not ready to disclose yet but I'm pretty excited. Let's just say I get excited about beautiful UI's and data visualization :)

Bugs are being squashed all the time and any feedback is welcome.

Oh, and those clickable room titles are implemented too ;) I believe mixing room images is possible too.
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Another update!

Habitat is maturing and hopefully I'm not the only one who finds it useful. If you're new to the app or havent checked it out in a while, now is a great time to head over to Google Play and giving it a try!

Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated!
IgoriokLT

Post by IgoriokLT »

App is constantly crashing on startup, tested on few devices - Xiaomi Redmi 3S and Samsung S6 Edge, both are running Android 7.1
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

IgoriokLT wrote:
24 Nov 2017 23:09
App is constantly crashing on startup, tested on few devices - Xiaomi Redmi 3S and Samsung S6 Edge, both are running Android 7.1
Oh really? Did you report the crashes? Should be easy to fix once I see the stack traces. Thanks for reporting it.