Devices not updating status after lock/unlock [SOLVED]

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jadedeane

Devices not updating status after lock/unlock [SOLVED]

Post by jadedeane »

Greetings!

Have a couple Kwikset deadbolts and when I issue a command to unlock them they do indeed unlock, but the Z-Way server still displays "locked" unless I manually request a status update, at which time their true status is displayed.

Is there a setting or method to update device status, or should these be getting an updated status after an action is taken?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by jadedeane on 06 Aug 2016 06:45, edited 1 time in total.
PoltoS

Re: Devices not updating status after lock/unlock

Post by PoltoS »

Make sure to set up association from the device to controller (if it has a special group to report status). Otherwise there are no ways to get update except for polling.

Some devices do send at least something to the controller on status change. See log file
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Rather new to Z-Wave, so forgive my ignorance (while I Google the heck out of a few things)... When I review association groups for the locks in question they show a single association group, with device "#1 - Z-Way" listed, albeit with a red triangle explanation mark next to it.

What does the red triangle above indicate?

When I look at overall devices I don't see that device, but I do see it listed under routing (with good looking directs to both locks). Unless I'm mistaken, "Z-Way" in this context is the UZB1 (w/license) dongle.

Thanks again for the help!
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Correct, it is the controller. Now have a look in the log while you close the lock. If nothing is received by Z-Way, the lock do not report the event. In that case I would suggest to contact lock manufacturer to get help from them

Also doublecheck in Expert Commands tab in Association (click on the link), you should see "nodes: 1" in gren. This will confirm that the lock have association to the s/w. You can always press Get to update this info.
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Indeed, the Z-Way server receives and logs an event for the close. Should have been clear that was working earlier, sorry.

Looking under Expert Commands, and clicking the Association link I do see "Nodes: 1" in green:
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 6.23.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 6.23.29 PM.png (43.49 KiB) Viewed 8415 times
Per what I mentioned earlier regarding the status I think the red triangle/grey status means "Active in device but not selected in UI" per the legend:
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 6.13.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 6.13.05 PM.png (59.41 KiB) Viewed 8415 times
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Started fresh on a clean install, same issue... Most confusing.
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Solved! Went through the trouble of testing this on Z-Way 2.2.2, 2.2.3, and 2.2.4-rc1 by the way.

User module "Niffler" (https://github.com/jensmoes/Niffler) speaks directly to the issue I was seeing, and sorts it.

Many thanks to the author!
PoltoS

Re: Devices not updating status after lock/unlock [SOLVED]

Post by PoltoS »

Wow, cool module! Will suggest the author to add it to our developrs.z-wave.me

https://github.com/jensmoes/Niffler/issues/4