DanalockBTZE100Square status report issue

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
seattleneil

Re: DanalockBTZE100Square status report issue

Post by seattleneil »

Your previous posts described lock status being updated/displayed with intermittent success when operated remotely. To rule out a mesh routing problem as the cause, please consider moving either the controller or lock so that they are in direct communication with each other (and do a network reorganization to update the routing table). Once the controller and lock(s) are in direct communication, remotely lock and unlock via the Z-Way UI and then use the Z-Way diagnostic tools (timing, packet stats and Zniffer history) to verify Z-Wave packets are being transmitted and received as expected. The Z-Way log file (/var/log/z-way-server.log) will show packet processing details.

The approach I use when a Z-Wave device is operating intermittently is as follows:
1. Eliminate mesh routing as the culprit.
2. Verify messages to the device are being transmitted and received as expected using Z-Way's diagnostic tools.
3. Use the Z-Way log file to see if there are any packet processing issues.

In other words, moving your Pi to be within direct communication of the door lock might not solve the problem. This step serves to eliminate mesh routing as a potential problem and makes it easier to troubleshoot the problem. I have 2 guesses about what you're experiencing with the door lock: (1) Door lock status messages are being mesh routed through your legacy Z-Wave devices and those legacy devices are not consistently routing the messages correctly. (2) There's an interoperability issue in Z-Way software processing the door lock status messages.

I am confident that if you take the time to learn how to use Z-Way's diagnostic tools, you'll be able to solve the door lock mystery.

On a tangent, I find it interesting that the newest Z-Wave RF interface (called Long Range) has abandoned mesh routing and has adopted a star topology (similar to Wi-Fi, where the access point replaces the Z-Wave controller), using a direct sequence spread spectrum modulation scheme that is less sensitive to interference, operates at 100 kbps and has much longer range. Unfortunately, Z-Wave Long Range requires series-700 and newer Z-Wave devices.

If you're still stuck, please reply with a Zniffer history screenshot showing messages for devices 2, 4 or 5, packet stats with non-zero counts for devices 2, 4 or 5, timing info with non-zero counts for devices 2, 4 or 5 and the relevant part of the log file when you were operating a door lock.

Good luck.
marco

Post by marco »

I'll remove node 9 or 8 from that network and I will add it to an equivalent network placing the smart lock next to its controller.
I think this could be the master check.
I'll let you know when done.
Thanks
Marco
marco

Post by marco »

Danalock smart lock definitely no longer usable.
I spent several days trying to get these flir devices to work but there was no way to make them usable.
I disassembled the smartlocks and placed them near the controller and, when working, placing the smartlock back in its position it stopped working;
I brought the controller in proximity to them but when I put it back in its position the smartlocks stopped working.
I excluded and re-included them; some of them worked sometimes showing the status correctly but when one of them failed to receive the commands it blocked all the others.
I tried to rearrange the routing map but the smartlocks interviews failed.
I tried to establish routes manually but there was no way to have them memorized for those devices (actually it is not really clear how this assignment of manual routes should take place also because on some occasions the system has set routes that are really improbable and certainly not passable)
All this has started to compromise the operation of the entire network and also the devices main line powered have given a series of communication problems such as making the network no longer usable.
I finally excluded all battery smartlocks. The network is back to normal operation.
I then tried to include only one battery device.
Same results: initially it seems to work but just away from the controller it stops. Even performing a reorganization has no positive outcome. It fails to route.
I'll have to switch to mains powered solutions.
Marco
otverber

Post by otverber »

Just a tought; have you checked out the issue described in this thread?
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f=3417&t=35839

open expertview and check if there are pending jobs.
I have to restart the server twice per 24hours to be able to operate swithces or make use of automations.
excuding/reincluding devices can be performed, but the server must fresh restarted..
marco

Post by marco »

I always check for job queues.
Sure, I frequently restart the server and Raspberry too.
No way to use those devices anymore.
Marco