Device renaming

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
cpighin

Device renaming

Post by cpighin »

Hi :)

In manual zwayUse.pdf is written
4.4 Name your devices
Once devices are Placed on the map they can be renamed. Just click 'Show devices in tree' in the
bottom context menu to show all devices in Their Respective zones. Right clicking on the Device
default name ('Device' plus Node Id) opens a dialog to change the name.
but I could not rename a pair of devices as expected :(

Am I doing something wrong?
How can I fix it if it is a software bug?

Claudio :)
pz1

Re: Device renaming

Post by pz1 »

It would help if you mentioned what version of the software you are using. I can't read your mind...
cpighin

Post by cpighin »

I don't know where to find the version code, but I can state that I downloaded z-way software on date 2015/03/25 and that i read "© 2014 Z-Wave.Me" at the bottom of page http://find.zwave.me.

Thanks pz1 :)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

It probably is v2.0.0. Be aware that device names changed with the Expert Interface are only valid within that interface. Other UI's don't see it. These changed names often do not survive system updates as I have seen in a number of posts in this forum.
Names given in the HA unit are stored in a separate file, and can be restored after some system disaster. The HA user interface is still in its infancy. Definitely so in version 2.0.0
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
cpighin

Post by cpighin »

:) If I'm not wrong you are suggesting to rename devices in HA UI instead of in other interfaces. Am I right?

Claudio :)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Yes, I stopped renaming devices over the years. At the same time I must admit that OpenRemote is my primary UI, so it is not as much a problem for me.
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

I was wondering about the names in the different UI's. The old blue GUI has its own naming which is stored in the Rules.xml file, the new blue GUI stores it in the Z-Way config and is retrievable via 'Given name' data field via the API. Strangely these names seem unknown when using the HA modules and (virtual) devices. My own software uses the name as a secondary device id, so it is quite important to have this correctly.

Or is there a means to get to the device name from the HA module?
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Expert UI names refer to Zwave devices. HA device names refer to virtual devices that are very distinct from the Z-Wave devices. For example a Zwave thermostat is a device that is transformed in a temperature sensor device plus a dimmer device at the virtual level (and possibly more for more complex thermostats). That makes the Home Automation protocol independent.