Problem with an association

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
cpighin

Problem with an association

Post by cpighin »

Hi :)

It arose an unexpected problem: an association between a Multisensor and a PowerSwitch does not work as it worked properly until a few days ago.

Do we try together to figure out what is wrong?

Hereafter in detail is the analysis of the problem.

I associated to the Fibaro Routing Binary SENSOR_2 a Fibaro Binary Power Switch_3 (in particular the component 3.1), connected to a desk lamp. Until a few days ago the lamp was lit for 30 sec. if anyone was detected bu the sensor. Now this does not happen anymore, even if I can turn on the lamp by HA UI clicking the On button of the switch.

That's how it is configured now the association between my Multisensor and PowerSwitch.

Consider that I have tried unsuccessfully to fix the problem by re-inserting the two devices and then re-creating the association (Expert UI> Configuration for Routing Binary SENSOR_2).

What can I do?

Claudio :)
cpighin

Re: Problem with an association

Post by cpighin »

Since pz1 has suggested by pm "to remove the rechargeable battery, and use the original type" and I don't have it, to start a new series of test, I connected the Fibaro Motion Sensor to a 3,6 v. dc power supply, just to avoid problems with rechargeable batteries, but still it does not drive the PowerSwitch, while I still can manage it by any z-way interface.

cpighin

Post by cpighin »

:) Surprise :o With the new power supply (3.6 V DC as specified in the manual, regulated by a Converter LM2596), the device has flashed green once then no longer showed signs of life. By chance, after a couple of minutes, I touched it and I felt very hot.
Immediately I unplugged it and then found that it did not work (did not send updated data to the controller): it ceased to work, inexplicably :(
Of course, before connecting the device to power, I carefully checked with a tester voltage and polarity!
Now I await a new Fibaro Motion Sensor to resume my tests.

cpighin

Post by cpighin »

Updating :)

An electronic technician explained to me that the Adjustable Converter with Digital Voltmeter I used http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00GX3Y ... ge_o04_s00
(connected to the output of a power supply for PC 12v) could be the cause of the Motion Sensor Fibaro failure and that the device should work fine if powered properly.

To do this he recommended to connect in parallel to the input and output lines two capacitors with filter function , as follows, if the device is not already filtered:
470uF 25V for the Input,
1000uF 25v for the Output.

Few days later I showed the Adjustable Converter with Digital Voltmeter to the electronic technician who found the presence of suitable input and output capacitors, so there were not a need of further capacitors!

What do you think about?

Last edited by cpighin on 23 Jun 2015 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I think this question is best answered by Fibaro (support@fibaro.com). They do know the electronics of the device itself.
Of course someone here could answer, but my experience over the years is that there are only very few people with that knowledge around here.
cpighin

Post by cpighin »

:) PZ1,

unfortunately I had a disappointing response from Fibaro Support.

Here is what they said:
Fibaro Motion sensor is developed for only powered by battery.
We do not recommend to connect power supply.
cpighin

Post by cpighin »

:) Finally a new Fibaro Motion Sensor arrived and I easily "included" it in my "network"; then I tried to associate a Double Switchit ("Presa x lampada") to it, in orderr to light on the desk lamp when the sensor detects a movement.

In particular, using the interface Old Expert > Device configuration, I associated the Double Switch to the Motion Sensor (Device_6) acting on the "Presa x lampada" icon (with drag and drop) to insert it into the Association space, as shown here Image
I then pushed the Save button and tried the operation of the association, but it did not work :(
I opened the interface Expert> Configuration and I noticed that the association was not recognized (there was not).

What happened?
Why an association created with the interface Old Expert, I think properly, is not "seen" with the interface Expert?

Can you give some help?