All Events from EventBus in Script

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
bc-109

Re: All Events from EventBus in Script

Post by bc-109 »

Hi everybody,

I contacted the support about this problem. The answer is that they don't have any ready to go event sender. Possible solutions are :
1/ Poll
2/ Write our own event handlers, in Javascript, and attach them to every device

This means it's impossible for me to use Z-Way from my application. I absolutely do not want to edit JS code every time I need to add a new device !

--
The next step for me would be to forget Z-Way, and to try with OpenZWave. There's a Python wrapper (python-openzwave) that may best suit my needs.

KInd regards
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Pitty you missunderstand our answers. Making your own wrapper in JS is pretty easy. In fact our module/ZWave/index.js is a kind of such wrapper (but also handles a lot about some internals and vDev API).

But you are free to try OpenZWave and then come back again ;)
bc-109

Post by bc-109 »

Pity you misunderstood our needs ;-)

Of course, speaking Japanese is pretty easy for a Japanese guy. But not for me ;-)

What I was expecting with an "API" is a way to access data in a pre-defined way that is independant from your software implementation. In other words, with an API, I would like to be able to access Z-Way data from Python, C, Perl, Basic, Cobol, or any other language. That's currently possible for sending actions and polling data, but that's not possible for getting events.

The only way to get events asynchronously is to code some JS. That would be no problem if I knew JS. But I don't. And I won't. That's not the definition of an "API". If Z-Way was written in Martian, I wouldn't have to learn Martian to use its API ;-)

I just need to receive *all* events asynchronously, by an asynchronous protocol (such as UDP). Which seems a very basic feature to me for an asynchronous system. For now, I don't understand how to do that with Z-Way.

So, Z-Way may be far better than any other software, I simply can't use it for now !
pz1

Post by pz1 »

bc-109 wrote:So, Z-Way may be far better than any other software, I simply can't use it for now !
Do you know any home automation software (Homeseer, Domoticz, OpenRemote, OpenHab, etc.) that does send events over UDP as you require?
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
bc-109

Post by bc-109 »

Again, you misunderstood our needs.

When I bought a Razberry, I didn't want to buy a "home automation software". I wanted to buy a "Z-Wave transceiver", with an API, so that I can control it from my software.

An example of such an equipment that uses an API, and that does send events asynchronously over UDP : Zibase.

(Unfortunately for me, that company will close in a few weeks, so that I need to adapt all my existing software with another Z-Wave transceiver)

Moreover, UDP was just a suggestion. I just need to be able to "subscribe" to an "event server", and then, receive events asynchronously when they occur. Other possibilities are Unix sockets and unix pipes. Or any other system that uses a standard protocol, and that does not require to modify your source code, with your specific programming language.

Thank you for your understanding.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Moreover, UDP was just a suggestion. I just need to be able to "subscribe" to an "event server", and then, receive events asynchronously when they occur.
And you don't need to program/configure something to process the events at your receiving end?
bc-109

Post by bc-109 »

That's exactly what I want to do : processing the events at my receiving end. I just need you to send me the events. Without having to come into your system, and send them by myself ;-)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

bc-109 wrote:I just need you to send me the events
Why me?
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
bc-109

Post by bc-109 »

Whoever ;-) Anybody that can send events asynchronously...
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Good luck