Controlling thermostat temperature based on time/sensor

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
catterer

Controlling thermostat temperature based on time/sensor

Post by catterer »

Hello!

First of all sorry for my probably basic question. I was searching quite a lot, but didn't really find the answer to my situation. If this question is not appropriate here and/or you think I need to further search, let me know...

I just started with the home automation topic recently. After some investigation I thought the combination of Z-wave devices and Raspberry/RaZberry sounds very promising as it's very flexible and open for the future.

I have now the following situation:

Hardware/Software
Raspberry / RaZberry with Raspbian Jessie and Z-Way installed
Devolo door/window contact (http://www.devolo.com/uk/Products/devol ... ow-Contact)
Danfoss living connect thermostat (LC-13, 014G0013)

Situation I want to solve
1) Basically, when the windows is opened, the thermostat shall turn off or shall control down to 4° Celsius
2) When the window is closed, the thermostat shall control to 22 ° Celsius
3) In addition I want to have this time dependent. No matter if the window is closed or opened, between 10 pm and 6 am the thermostat shall be turned off

I'v solved point 1 and 2 - even though I am not sure if I did it the right way. I have created two scenes to control the temperature and then I am using an IfThen App to activate the appropriate scene. I was actually expecting to just use IfThen w/o the scenes, but I don't get my thermostat listed there. Again, not sure if this is the right approach.

Now coming to point 3, I am somewhat stuck on how to do this. I have found for example the app condition switch, but I do not see any possibility how to control my thermostat or scene with.

If anybody has any hints for me I would be very happy and appreciate that. Again, I am sorry for a probably very basic question, but...

Thanks a lot!

Chris
viper384

Re: Controlling thermostat temperature based on time/sensor

Post by viper384 »

App "Schedule" seems like it may assist for #3.
catterer

Post by catterer »

Thanks for the information. For whatever reason I cannot download the app Schedule, it just tells me "cannot download". I'll search for that. Meanwhile I've found out that logical rule might help - I guess first time I tried this, I was not aware that I need use scenes for controlling the thermostat. I'll post my result as soon as I know more.
viper384

Post by viper384 »

When looking at your local apps, make sure that the display filter is set to "All Apps", and not the default in 2.2.0, which is "Featured Apps".
catterer

Post by catterer »

Hello!

Thanks for your hint. My problem is actually already at the point in time where I try to download - at this point in time, I get the error message. Still I checked my local apps with filter "all apps" and it does not appear there.

Today I actually found a solution that seems to work. Still not sure if this is the right/best way how to do it, but as mentioned, it seems to work. It looks like my rule was wrong as I did not consider midnight and it triggered the wrong rules.

I've now created three scenes:
- Thermostat 4 celsius degrees (basically off)
- Thermostat 20 celsius degrees
- Thermostat 22 celsius degrees

I then created the following app instances:
- IfThen: if window/door contact on, then trigger scene 4 celsius degrees
- LogicalRule: if window/door contact off, time time >= 05:00 and time <= 20:59, then trigger scene 22 celsius degrees
- LogicalRule: if window/door contact off, time time >= 21:00, then trigger scene 20 celsius degrees
- LogicalRule: if window/door contact off, time time >= 00:00 and time <= 4:59, then trigger scene 20 celsius degrees

Again, I am not sure if this is the right way to do it, but it sets the correct temperature. If anybody has any information on whether or not this is an appropriate way to do it, I am very happy about feedback. On the other side, maybe it helps somebody to get started.