Module that sets config params

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Provo

Module that sets config params

Post by Provo »

Does a usermodule exist which lets you set a certain configuration parameter of a certain device to a certain value? Let's say you want to change the mode of a door lock or a thermostat or the soft-start time of a light switch based on the time of day or some other event, and this can only be changed through changing a configuration parameter.

If such a module doesn't exist, is this possible with the current system, or is changing config params outside of what modules have access to? I couldn't find anything in the manual about this.
Z-Wave Support

Re: Module that sets config params

Post by Z-Wave Support »

Hello,

you can in the SmartHome UI set the Parameter.

Device>Manage>Your Device>Hardware Configuration

You can read the Parameter, byte and value in the Manual from the Device.

Z-Wave Support Team
Attachments
zway2.png
zway2.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 23088 times
Provo

Post by Provo »

Thanks for answering so quickly, but I guess I wasn't completely clear. :)

I know how to set the configuration parameters manually, but I'm wondering if there is a usermodule that makes a virtual device for this and let's me trigger the setting of a certain parameter of a certain device like I would trigger a scene.
Provo

Post by Provo »

I realized I can probably just use the Configuration command class. Using the JS api, I can do zway.devices[2].Configuration.Get(1) to get the system to read parameter 1 of the device with ID 2. If I run this code, the UI shows that the value was updated from the device at the time I ran the code.

However, if I run zway.devices[2].Configuration.Set(1,10,1), which should set parameter 1 to 10, specifying a size of 1 byte (according to the developer's manual chapter 7.10), it doesn't work as I would expect it to. What happens, is that the UI shows that the value, which was 1 to begin with, has changed to 1, but has not been written to the device yet. First of all I would expect it to change the value to 10, not 1, and second of all, how I can I get the system to actually write this value to the device?

Currently, I'm just trying with the JS api from the browser, but the plan is to create a usermodule if I can get it working.
pah111kg

Post by pah111kg »

I am also interested in a solution. If you find a solution, please share it.

I tried this some time ago, but I think the "zway" object is not available in user modules.
pah111kg

Post by pah111kg »

Is there news for this?

I need this function to set the thermostat mode. The virtual devices for the thermostat mode is a binary switch but some thermostats have several modes, e.g. Frost Protection, Energy Saving, Comfort and Direct Control for StellaZ. How could this be enabled via virtual devices?
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pah111kg wrote:Is there news for this?

I need this function to set the thermostat mode. The virtual devices for the thermostat mode is a binary switch but some thermostats have several modes, e.g. Frost Protection, Energy Saving, Comfort and Direct Control for StellaZ. How could this be enabled via virtual devices?
I have been requesting an N-state switch as a fundamental solution to this since a long time. See issue #264.
Unfortunately the new team of developers seems to be more interested in look an feel of smarthome than on improving the internals of home-automation. That is a shame, because there is a lot of potential in using Zway/StellaZ to save energy. My experiments ove the past years have shown some 25-30% cost reduction on natural gas. Unforunately the system is not suitable for others because set up and maintenance is too awkward for productisation.

For my automation of 10 Stella's I have hand-crafted some 40 CodedDevice of type toggle button as shown in the example below.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.71 KiB) Viewed 22943 times
pah111kg

Post by pah111kg »

Thanks for your reply pz1!

I'll join the discussion on Github.
pah111kg

Post by pah111kg »

But to the question of changing the setting out of a module, that would be the solution (from CodeDevice: index.js Ln141):

Code: Select all

eval("zway.devices[42].ThermostatMode.Set(0)")
Am I right?

I need that as well for the adjustment of the color of the Fibaro WallPlug.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pah111kg wrote:Thanks for your reply pz1!
I'll join the discussion on Github.
thanks for the support on Github. Hope some others will join to kick this issue to a higher priority :D