How to reuse a device number

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jstaffon

How to reuse a device number

Post by jstaffon »

When I remove a device from the network, and then add it back in, it chooses a different number. Example: A device was added and given #22. I then removed the device from the network successfully. I re-added that device again and it incremented and gave it #24 instead of #22 which should have been available. That happens whether it's a new device or a re-add of an old device. How do I clean up the database and allow new devices to use old numbers that are not in use anymore? Thanks in advance!
silverhack

Re: How to reuse a device number

Post by silverhack »

Unfortunately there is no way to re-use old device numbers. At least not yet.
I think it's possible to mark a device as failed instead of excluding it, and then you can replace the failed device to add it back with the same number. However, I have not tried this yet so I'm not sure if it's fully functional.
jstaffon

Post by jstaffon »

There's a maximum number of devices you can add to your network... Is it possible to exceed the "number" (because of this issue) without actually having the max number of devices in the network?
vlad

Post by vlad »

I think next Device ID is stored in NVRAM. This is just an ID and you still limited to 232 devices total.

I have RaZberry board failure and have to replace it with new one.
So, when I restored old backup (this backup had gaps in deviceID's as one can expect). When I attempted to add new device on new controller - Zway software was filling those gaps. Say I had device ID 1 - RaZberry then next one was 5. When I included new switch it become deviceID 2... Then I excluded it and reincluded and it become device ID 3. Then I included another one with device ID 4. Then next device went into next available number of 9....

So, I think if you do factory reset, that should reset that counter in NVRAM, Your controller would reset that number.
Or if we can reset that counter somehow that should do the trick.
jstaffon

Post by jstaffon »

Does that mean you can only go up to ID 232 (even if you only have a handful of devices in your network?) or does it count the actual devices that are active?
vlad

Post by vlad »

I did not test it. But lets' see:
Z-Wave NodeID should be unique in a given domain of HomeID. Total number of Nodes is 232.

Physically (in RF package as SourceID/TargetID) it's 8-bit value. Total unique numbers in one byte - 256 (if we will count 0). Well, as you can see here there is a limit. In Z-Wave mesh network there should be no more then 232 NodeID's (the very first node is RaZberry itself).

So, if those "lost" NodeID's are not reused it will limit numbers available for active NodeID's, Well, I think yes, if you exclude and include the same switch 231 times you might find yourself out of NodeID numbers because as of right now RaZberry will not reuse those free numbers.
jstaffon

Post by jstaffon »

Great...thanks! That's kind of what I thought but had hoped not.
bawesto

Post by bawesto »

Does that mean you can not reuse a device number? No way to fill the gaps you have from reincluding devices? That realy should be fixed.
IgoriokLT

Post by IgoriokLT »

It is fixed now, after you include new device, it is taking free node number.
bawesto

Post by bawesto »

When does it fill the Gaps? I have latest Version 2.3.6. Yesterday I included new device. First free node number would have been 3, but it counted up as allways. How should it be fixed? Filling the Gaps only after reaching 232?