Z-way server goes down spontaneously

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
PoltoS

Re: Z-way server goes down spontaneously

Post by PoltoS »

Looks we have located the source of memory leak - it is XML parsing. It happens in HTTP requests when reply is XML as well as when sending or saving XML data. We are working on a fix to provide you a safe and stable Z-Way.

PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

And just to confirm, do you have HTTP requests with XML result or other XML handling?

You can also install our very latest build made (less debug output and easier to analyze). Run like before
Once crashes, please provide the log. We are mostly interested in Occupied - in your case it should grow fast

GokMasE

Post by GokMasE »

PoltoS wrote:
15 Mar 2020 05:50
Looks we have located the source of memory leak - it is XML parsing. It happens in HTTP requests when reply is XML as well as when sending or saving XML data. We are working on a fix to provide you a safe and stable Z-Way.
Ok, this sounds very promising! I am very much looking forward to a test build that targets this, needless to say :-D
And just to confirm, do you have HTTP requests with XML result or other XML handling?

You can also install our very latest build made (less debug output and easier to analyze). Run like before
Once crashes, please provide the log. We are mostly interested in Occupied - in your case it should grow fast
Even if I had thought that the main trigger for the stability problems was related to using the zway module "HTTPGet", I do indeed also use HTTP requests where the server replies with XML.

I have downloaded latest build and will try to launch it same way as the previous one.
Might have to wait until this evening though, but I will post back as soon as there are news.

UPDATE: I have the new build (z-way-3.0.4-58) running since about 15 minutes, and it is logging considerably less than previous version. The z-way.log in /tmp reached 2mb rather quickly, but it is now building up in a more moderate pace. This version also responds normally on http://192.168.1.195:8083/ - I presume the previous one failed to do that because of the extensive logging.

Regards,

/J

GokMasE

Post by GokMasE »

Ok, test build so far keeps running but I was curious enough to have a peek at the "Occupancy" level development in the z-way.log-file. It seems to go through sequences of both increase and decrease. The top value I could spot manually so far is "Occupancy 5978".

Regards,

/Joakim

PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

I think it will grow up for you smoothly (even despite it goes down for some values periodically after GC) and if you disable those requests with XML, it should stop growing

PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Finally! The issue was fixed in: z-way-3.0.4-60-g112e32c_armhf.deb

This version still produces quite a lot of debug output - we will remove all this once GoKMasE and/or some others will confirm that the issue is fixed.

Please try it

rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

Is it unique the the raspberry?
I am polling the zway API pretty intensively with a a large network and have not observed this problem on ubuntu x64.

PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

This is not about polling the Z-Way API, but about doing HTTP requests from Z-Way to other sites that replies with XML.

The issue is inside the JS engine and is definitely CPU dependant, but I suppose memory leaks and corruption should happen on x64 too.

Anyway right now we want to confirm it works on RPi and we do a v3.0.5 release immediately.

rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

I am watching for memory leaks very very closely and have not seen any in over a week. I am pounding the zway http but not with XML so this may not help.