Razberry Z-Way 3.0.0--CRC16 and Security classes showing up

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
PoltoS

Re: Razberry Z-Way 3.0.0--CRC16 and Security classes showing up

Post by PoltoS »

Sounds reasonable... Or don't allow CRC16 and Security if they are not in NIF. Need to check that based on the spec.
rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

In the meantime the fix for it is to send an API call using your browser replacing the IP and the node ID for the security one:

Code: Select all

http://ZWAYIP:8083/JS/Run/zway.devices[nodeID].instances[0].commandClasses[152].data.supported.value=false
I will look for the CRC16 one when I run into it.
cdogg76

Post by cdogg76 »

Hello,

Is there a fix being made for this problem? It's unclear from PoltoS's last response. But the CRC16 as well as Security command classes showing up on devices that don't support them and then failing to respond to commands is growing quite tiresome.

Thanks!
rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

I am now pretty much convinced that this problem is due to corrupted frames coming in to the zwave dongle and passing the CRC check. Lowering overall RF noise on the network helps but I fundamentally, CC should never be added after the interview is complete so a block should be made to not allow CC addition if they are not in the NIF return list. I think PoltoS is working on it.
cdogg76

Post by cdogg76 »

Thanks for your thoughts. It'd be great if we could have a solution.

That said, I've been running Z-Way for years and this problem only started after I upgraded to Z-Way 3.0. I don't know if there was a change in 3.0 that allowed corrupt packets to be honored more, or something else... But the problem for me is definitely tied to the upgrade.

That said, I also feel like the z-wave network has been performing much better and reliably after the upgrade. I don't know if that is a real effect of moving to 3.0, but I used to have trouble where a large number of nodes would become unreachable and it would take a day or two to repair the network. I don't think that had happened since I upgraded.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Okey, we will check that issue again
cdogg76

Post by cdogg76 »

Hello,

Any chance that there's been progress on this? I still have to re-NIF and interview some of my switches a couple times a week to make them work again. It's pretty annoying.

Thanks!
DesT

Post by DesT »

@PoltoS,

Got the same issue too. Each time CRC or Security appear, I need to redo a full interview to bring back the device in a "working" state!

Since last week, I need to do a check on all devices to see which one got this issue at least every 3-4 days.
rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

rafale77 wrote:
19 Apr 2020 18:12
I am now pretty much convinced that this problem is due to corrupted frames coming in to the zwave dongle and passing the CRC check. Lowering overall RF noise on the network helps but I fundamentally, CC should never be added after the interview is complete so a block should be made to not allow CC addition if they are not in the NIF return list. I think PoltoS is working on it.
Since people are reporting this since version3.x I speculate that something has changed in how the interview is being managed. @poltoS? I have not observed this is several weeks now but it has happened in the past. I still believe it is due to corrupted frames making it through the zwave chip CRC filter and z-way reacting by adding a CC from it. This behavior of allowing command class additions from others than the user's NIF call should be blocked.
DesT

Post by DesT »

Each time CRC16 OR Security appear in my list @poltos, it make the device unusable until I force a new interview to remove either CRC16 or Security!