Device security and re-inclusion

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
MrRusch

Device security and re-inclusion

Post by MrRusch »

[1] I keep having this issue with devices that I have included securely - all of a sudden, the message "Interview was not completed for device X" appears under "Network Health" on the landing page of Expert UI. So I go into Configuration and find that all commandClasses have completed interview except 'Security'. So I perform the interview again, and the 'Security' commandClass disappears from the interview list, and the interview completes. Some time later, I will have to do it again to get rid of the message. I'm pretty sure the devices that have this problem were included securely. Any idea what this is about?

[2] On a related note, this has made me wonder many times if it is possible to re-include a device without actually excluding and including it again? I have a lot of devices mounted in the walls, so digging them out to physically trigger the exclusion/inclusion button is not really an option. So I usually end up cutting the power in the entire house, room by room, and using the auto-exclusion/inclusion approach as learning mode is triggered on first power. But it would be much much easier to be able to trigger this from the software somehow, but maybe this is not possible in the Z-wave protocol?

[3] Finally, is it possible to change the security of an already included device? I.e. can I add security to a device that was included insecurely, or remove it from one that was added securely? Some of my devices are secure and some not, and I want to create consistency here without re-including everything.

Best regards,
/Fred
micky1500

Re: Device security and re-inclusion

Post by micky1500 »

I haven't had this issue re-occur now I am on 3.0.6.
I had it earlier though.
You can always bypass the interview failure. as in my previous post.
I do accept that is just ignoring the error. if it works, without errors.. happy..
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f ... ity#p86035

:)
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
MrRusch

Post by MrRusch »

Thanks for your comments on [1]. I upgraded my device's firmware and bricked it. Waiting for a new one and hopefully this will resolve this.

Any idea on [2] and/or [3]?
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

3 ist not possible
2 cutting the power seems dangerous if you have more than one device on the same power line. But I agree that triggering the button without unmounting wall mounted devices would be great. I don't dare to think about the effort to unmount those things again, I'd rather buy another house