Integration with Home Assistant

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jeey

Re: Integration with Home Assistant

Post by jeey »

@Poltos, a great example of why gambling everything on OZW is not the best choice, HA is soon to default to a new zwave engine.
https://github.com/home-assistant/archi ... issues/483

Keep thing internal to avoid problems with external projects :)
catzop

Post by catzop »

Looking forward to testing this too!
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Great news! We start open tests of our own Home Assistant integration.

Here is the git fork with "z-wave-me" component added: https://github.com/nsvdev/-P23.10-1-home-assistant-core

We plan to merge it with Home Assistant cores within a week or two, but you can already start testing.

The integration do not use the login/password, but an access token. To get the token go in Menu -> Settings -> Users -> (select your user - preferably not admin - and grant him access to devices) -> API Token.

Note that if you are connected via find.z-wave.me, the token will have the first part before / too, and you can access your Z-Way with this token remotely via find.z-wave.me URL. This allows to connect HA in one home with Z-Way in another one via find.z-wave.me.

The integration uses the new Websockets API available only in pre-release of Z-Way 3.2.1-20-g08a741ce. Do the following to install it:

Code: Select all

PKG=z-way-3.2.1-20-g08a741ce_armhf.deb && wget -O /tmp/$PKG https://storage.z-wave.me/z-way-server/$PKG && sudo dpkg -i /tmp/$PKG
For those who are not familiar with HAss here is a howto for installing it on a Pi:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update -y --allow-releaseinfo-change
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install -y python3 python3-dev python3-venv python3-pip libffi-dev libssl-dev libjpeg-dev zlib1g-dev autoconf build-essential libopenjp2-7 libtiff5 libturbojpeg0 tzdata
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential tk-dev libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libreadline6-dev libdb5.3-dev libgdbm-dev libsqlite3-dev libssl-dev libbz2-dev libexpat1-dev liblzma-dev zlib1g-dev libffi-dev

test -f /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libffi.so.7 || sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libffi.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libffi.so.7

PY_VER=3.9.8
wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/${PY_VER}/Python-${PY_VER}.tar.xz
tar xf Python-${PY_VER}.tar.xz
cd Python-${PY_VER}
./configure --enable-optimizations --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make altinstall
cd ..
sudo rm -r Python-${PY_VER}
rm Python-${PY_VER}.tar.xz
. ~/.bashrc

sudo useradd -rm homeassistant -G dialout,gpio,i2c
sudo mkdir /srv/homeassistant
sudo chown homeassistant:homeassistant /srv/homeassistant

sudo -u homeassistant -H -s
cd /srv/homeassistant
python3.9 -m venv .
source bin/activate

python3.9 -m pip install --upgrade pip
python3.9 -m pip install wheel
CRYPTOGRAPHY_DONT_BUILD_RUST=1 python3.9 -m pip install homeassistant

git clone https://github.com/nsvdev/-P23.10-1-home-assistant-core
mv lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant-orig
ln -s -- /srv/homeassistant/'-P23.10-1-home-assistant-core/homeassistant' lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant

hass

# on errors try to use specific versions of packages:
# python3.9 -m pip install aiohttp==3.7.4.post0 pip==20.2.4 async-timeout==3.0.1

#on errors with missing Timeout in async_timeout comment async_timeout_backcompat.enable() in homeassistant/core.py
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

Yes!!!!!
I have been waiting for this since springtime. I run Z-wave on a Rpi3b since 5-6 years i think, if not longer. And Homeassistant and MagicMirror on two other Pi:s. So as fast as you have the integration ready for official release I will install it 🙏👍👍👍
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

This is most excellent news indeed. I was going to try to do the OpenLuup route. I was planning on doing the integration when the Gen 7 board was available. With this news, I'll be buying the Gen 7 boards when they are available and then do the HA integration at the same time. I haven't added many devices to Z-Way yet as I'm still doing Z-Wave on Indigo.
philippescholtes

Post by philippescholtes »

Hi,
I tried to load Home Assistant Core on a Raspberry Pi 3 fitted with the Razberry card and running zway. After experimenting with the code kindly supplied by Serguei here I managed at some point to run zway and hass side-by-side, although without integration of the z-wave devices in the Home Assistant setup. After trying various things--including things like dev/tty/AMA0 my Razberry card became unresponsive and I thought I had bricked it. They I removed the SD card, reformatted it, reloaded a fresh version of Raspi OS, reset the Razberry card to its factory setup, reinstalled zway, downloaded the z-wave backup from the cloud service ... and it is all up and running since.
No Home Assistant of course: I guess the zway-hass integration is still work in progress, and I will rather wait until it is packaged in the Home Assistance OS. By that time Razberry 700 will hopefully be available in Europe, so I can start a fresh installation with the latest technology.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

We are passing HA review. Here is the pull request: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/61182
They are very meticulous and we have reworked the code three times since the initial commit. Hope we are on the final track
captador

Post by captador »

If i understood correctly that HA and Z-way are integrated loosely and can be on different machines or even in different homes then it is GREAT!

Architecturally i see 3 tier approach:
- basic home automation kernel is ultrastable independent low latency (lower network layers mesh/associations + isolated controller with minimum of logic that powers home energy, water, infra, lights basics). BIG THANK YOU TO @PoltoS and team for keeping it stable, efficient and rich in diagnostic. Nicely done engineering!
- weaker, slower, but more flexible and community rich integration layer on HA to connect z-wave kernel with other kernels or media or HMI <- still need be feature rich and fast enough / this is what to be powered by PoltoS work with HA over websockets or even lower, controlled autodiscovery etc, i hope.
- low SLA wider integrations with analytical services and clouds (influxdb, mqtt etc plugins) with basic HTTPs

Pretty sure industrial automation has good receipts of working reliable solution with industrial controllers, networks, SCADA etc

p.s. some folks talking about servicalization (verisure) of home automation and going cloud (homey as example), but i doubt you can escape making kernel other way than very local and maintenance intensive, even second tier is troubling unless we talked about edge cloud / containers merge or something that allows easy sync.
nukapop92

Post by nukapop92 »

anytime anywhere vidmate download
mobdro tv
PerH

Post by PerH »

Very cool!

I've been very happy with openLuup, but i'm considering HA just for the sheer amount of integrations and community size.
Changing to the z-wave controllers in HA was however not an option, so this is very good news!

Will this embed the expert panel in the HA website? It will work the same way without internet connection?(providing that they are on the same lan)