Integration with Home Assistant

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
PoltoS

Re: Integration with Home Assistant

Post by PoltoS »

Work in progress. We will notify you once we are ready. Sorry for the delay.
shubharora734

Post by shubharora734 »

Any updates/progress on this?
gbone001

Post by gbone001 »

any idea when?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

We are working on it. Will notify you once done
DarkWader

Post by DarkWader »

PoltoS wrote:
20 Dec 2020 00:36
We are working on it. Will notify you once done
Hi

Is this the feature that was promised in other forums for June 2020?
If so, why the delay? Has it been any progress on this, or is this in the roadmap for development?

I am on the fence here, trying to decide on where to put my effort for my future home.
The z-way to hass integration seems like the only decent way to go with current zwave controllers.
scyto

Post by scyto »

Hi, new RaZberry owner, also new to home assistant.

I installed raspbian, installed z-way. Got that working.
I installed docker and then the zwave2mqtt container - i saw that z-way and zwave2mqtt don't like sharing the serial port (no real surprise).
I purged z-way and openzwave seems to be working at a basic level like any other z-wave controller

1) why is this not a good option and why does it require special new integration?
2) i noticed that are some (old) z-way MQTT apps for the z-way store, do these support all devices (like rgbw controllers) or are they pretty much too old an too defunct to use?

at this point just using open z-wave natively against the serial port of the raZberry seems like a viable solution unless i am (probably) missing something?
scyto

Post by scyto »

i just switched to zwavejs2mqtt instead given the pause in development of openzwave.
jeey

Post by jeey »

scyto wrote:
31 Dec 2020 07:00
i just switched to zwavejs2mqtt instead given the pause in development of openzwave.
Same here, this is exactly why i don't understand z-wave.me choice if building this code instead of adding native mqtt support :(
They are depending on a solo project that goes stale from time to time, i assume FishWaldo will resume work, but it might take some time before he is back.

While a native MQTT allows us to use z-way the way we all want, and still have HA support.

Something that probally would drive up sales for z-way licenses also

@PoltoS
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Both works are in progress.

OZW wrapper is important IMHO not only for HAss, but also for other projects that rely on OZW - they are confined by the OZW limitations and we are here to help them.

The MQTT support is here - you can use MQTT module in Z-Way. We are planning to refine it, but please note that integration with HAss and others is not only about data set to/from devices. It is also about Network management, which is doubtly possible in MQTT way of intergration.

If you can tell us what is missing in the current MQTT ingetration, would be nice.
jeey

Post by jeey »

PoltoS wrote:
03 Jan 2021 19:23
Both works are in progress.

OZW wrapper is important IMHO not only for HAss, but also for other projects that rely on OZW - they are confined by the OZW limitations and we are here to help them.

The MQTT support is here - you can use MQTT module in Z-Way. We are planning to refine it, but please note that integration with HAss and others is not only about data set to/from devices. It is also about Network management, which is doubtly possible in MQTT way of intergration.

If you can tell us what is missing in the current MQTT ingetration, would be nice.
It depends what you define with network management.
In Home-Assistant Open-Zwave code is now pure MQTT, with vnc server to run qt-openzwave (admin gui).

You are able to add and exclude nodes in via HASS, but config of nodes are left to admin interface.

I have followed the mqtt attempts in zway since the first releases and they have all had problems, either with device support or general instability.
The latest attempt from edubits seems abandoned (2years without updates with open merge requests and issues)
(https://github.com/Edubits/Zway-MQTT).

From my testing with edubits code you can clearly see sync problems. You set a value, the node / z-way is not quick enough to update the mqtt so it assume it has failed and reuses old value, but then new value is updated, so you can see the topic change 2-3 times.
There are lots of open issues https://github.com/Edubits/Zway-MQTT/issues

Ideally support for HA mqtt autodiscovery would change everything, no need to manually map anything.
So instead of a addon this should be core code.