Integration with Home Assistant

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
PoltoS

Re: Integration with Home Assistant

Post by PoltoS »

Expert UI will be accessible as it is now with Z-Way. And of course it will work locally without an internet connection.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

PerH wrote:
06 Jan 2022 00:45
Very cool!

I've been very happy with openLuup, but i'm considering HA just for the sheer amount of integrations and community size.
Changing to the z-wave controllers in HA was however not an option, so this is very good news!

Will this embed the expert panel in the HA website? It will work the same way without internet connection?(providing that they are on the same lan)
I view that the devices that are in Z-Way will just be exported to Home Assistant for control via the API in Z-Way. The Z-Wave portion would never be exposed directly to Home Assistant.

Z-Wave management is still done in Z-Way but if you add a new device, it will show up in Home Assistant, the same if you remove a device. So this is not a replacement for say the Z-Wave JS integration or the deprecated Z-Wave engine that Home Assistant offers.

I actually prefer the Z-Way to be more independent from Home Assistant. You keep the strength of Z-Way with the strengths of Home Assistant.
PerH

Post by PerH »

I completely agree, i want all configuration to stay in Z-Way as it is now, so this sounds perfect.

I just wondered about the GUI as i've seen some integrations where the regular web page of the integrated object is embedded in a frame in the Home Assistant UI (I think it was Influxdb integration?), but there's no need for it.

Regarding internet connection, i'm asking because i understood that there was a token used instead of password - that needs to be provided by a central server? I might have misunderstood.

Hope everything goes well with the review so the integration comes soon. :)
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

The token is the new way to authenticate in Z-Way since 2019. Even after password authentication you get a token that is checked for every API request. Tokens are generated and checked locally by your Z-Way. They look like /xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-...

If you log in via find.z-wave.me, you get a more xtended token that looks like yyyyyyy.../xxxxxxx... The first part is checked on the remote access server, while the second on your local Z-Way.

Hope this explains
philippescholtes

Post by philippescholtes »

see my post of 15 December 2021 on the same subject. After a first unsuccessful attempt at integrating zway and Home Assistant Core under Raspbian, I had reinstalled RaspiOS on a reformatted SD card, reinstalled zway and the latest Cloud backup of my zwave network topology, and got my smart home back to speed. Unfortunately I could not resist a second attempt at integrating zway and HA Core, with the result that my Razberry card is bricked. I feel that z-wave is a better option for home automation as it relies on stable, secure sub-WiFi frequencies and offers complimentary Cloud access, but a casual market search suggests that WiFi devices are increasingly popular as they are promoted by heavyweights such as Apple, Google and Amazon in their respective smarthome product range.
A smooth integration between zway and Home Assistant is the way to go for those who believe in Open Source technology, but my recent experiences reveal that there is some way to go.
PerH

Post by PerH »

Thanks Poltos, it's all clear now. :)

Any chance the HASS core with integration could be put in a docker? In that case i have a setup ready to test this.

Phillipe: I don't know much about RaZberry, but is the z-wave modue bricked? I've woken other products by a fresh firmware update, mabye that's a possibility?
I'm still reluctant to going over to wifi units, although Shelly and others get great reviews.. It's a very busy frequency, and my experience with z-wave after using the UZB stick is very stable and good..
philippescholtes

Post by philippescholtes »

@perH: I am afraid the Razberry card is beyond revival. The two diodes are solid yellow/red, I get " faulty communication" error messages, and zway cannot see the connected devices. I reset the controller to factory defaults, upgraded to the latest firmware, but without success. When uploading the latest cloud backup the system currently indicates the various rooms in my z-wave network but cannot populate them because it cannot see the devices and therefore, cannot interview them.
A replacement card is already on the way
otverber

Post by otverber »

Be sure to check (in expert mode) that you have the corect frequencie activated .. EU for Europe etc
kkusu5591

Post by kkusu5591 »

I’d love to test or help in any way possible! vidmate mobdro
Last edited by kkusu5591 on 07 Feb 2022 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

philippescholtes wrote:
10 Jan 2022 14:00
see my post of 15 December 2021 on the same subject. After a first unsuccessful attempt at integrating zway and Home Assistant Core under Raspbian, I had reinstalled RaspiOS on a reformatted SD card, reinstalled zway and the latest Cloud backup of my zwave network topology, and got my smart home back to speed. Unfortunately I could not resist a second attempt at integrating zway and HA Core, with the result that my Razberry card is bricked. I feel that z-wave is a better option for home automation as it relies on stable, secure sub-WiFi frequencies and offers complimentary Cloud access, but a casual market search suggests that WiFi devices are increasingly popular as they are promoted by heavyweights such as Apple, Google and Amazon in their respective smarthome product range.
A smooth integration between zway and Home Assistant is the way to go for those who believe in Open Source technology, but my recent experiences reveal that there is some way to go.
WiFi has its own issues. For starters, security is one; some devices are still acceptable to KRACK.

The "official" integration between Z-Way and Home Assistant is coming. I've been following the discussion on the HA site about the integration. So it is coming. Your recent experiences are based upon a non-official implementation. Best to wait until it is out of Beta and not use the other methods to get Z-way and Home Assistant integrated with OpenLuup or other methods. Looking at the discussion and such, it appears to be a seamless integration with a lot of thought behind it.