Z-wave/device health monioring

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
vinisz

Z-wave/device health monioring

Post by vinisz »

Hi All,

I have the idea that the entire status monitoring / wireless activity check does nothing....
I pulled a FIbaro wall plug couple of hours ago ans still Zway tells me everything is ok.
So, how can I make sure health checks works within my Z-Wave system ? (I know homeseer had a plugin which looked at expected wake-up times)
false_check.png
false_check.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
anom3

Re: Z-wave/device health monioring

Post by anom3 »

Until a command is sent to the node and no response is received z-way-server has no way of knowing the devices is dead or not. This is how z-wave works.

What you are essentially seeing is if the last command was acknowledged or not.

If you wish, you can setup a timed command using one of the apps (dont know which one, I dont use z-way-servers automation system) that pools the device every XX minutes.

Be aware though, zwave traffic... The less the better... Plus sending a command to a dead device will cause all other commands to other devices while it waits for a response to hang. Which could be quite a few seconds on a dead device. Once again, this is how z-wave works.

EDIT : Mains devices (eg: non-battery powered) do not have a wake up interval. On mains devices homeseer was probably just pooling them as I mention above.
vinisz

Post by vinisz »

Ok, thanks for the response.
I,d like to stay away from polling but if the device goes to “failed” when a sent command fails then that is fine by me...
Is there however a way to get alerted when a device fails ? (Or van I get device status via the api ?)
anom3

Post by anom3 »

"Alerted" as in email or some other notification? I am sure there is a way using one of the apps... Like I said I do not use the z-way-server automation engine at all.

As far as the API, yes, its there.

isFailed property of each device will have a value:true / value:false.
vinisz

Post by vinisz »

Ok Thanks, I also don't use the automation engine (all in node-red) so I'm happy to here it is in the API, that way, I can let node-red talk to z-way and request that parameter., after that I can do alerting any way I'd like of course..