Is it at all possible to write custom firmware for existing 3rd party devices?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
anom3

Is it at all possible to write custom firmware for existing 3rd party devices?

Post by anom3 »

Has anyone done any research into building/ compiling own firmware for ready made 3rd party devices?

I understand its probably not too easy...

I own a ton of fibaro inwalls... The firmware is a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best... They tried to do too many things... I wont go into details but there are multiple issues... Some of the more annoying ones are there is no way to turn of double press detection... So if you ON / OFF quickly... Even lets say 500ms apart, it wont change the state of the switch... Other issues like this that prevent it from working a flawless NORMAL wall switch...

I'll add that I have in total tried 3 different inwalls... They all have similar issues... Qubino is slow to respond even to a single click, the aeotec ones dont have a proper 2 instance reporting even though they have S1 and S2 (on single switch model), etc.

...I have other devices that are just missing some basic useful features... Temperature / humidity sensors that only allow selective reporting @ 1.0c change etc etc etc...

Anyways lets focus on the Fibaro inwalls:

Anyone think its at all possible to use the silabs SDK to build / compile own firmware for these devices?
ZwaveJ

Re: Is it at all possible to write custom firmware for existing 3rd party devices?

Post by ZwaveJ »

I've wondered this exact same thing, and have the exact same issues. I want to be able to define a double click detection delay in milliseconds, and 0 would effectively disable it. I just started googling this, so I'll check back in if I find anything.
levy2809vlt

Re: Is it at all possible to write custom firmware for existing 3rd party devices?

Post by levy2809vlt »

I think not, it seems difficult. Maybe ZwaveJ found something cool