Start over on new Raspberry PI

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
vinisz

Start over on new Raspberry PI

Post by vinisz »

Hi,

Would like to start with a "clean" installation on another raspberry PI, only keeping all the zwave devices and config.
Is there any guide available on how to backup/migrate/start-over ?
I have no rules or automation to backup, that is all in node-red.
gsaw

Re: Start over on new Raspberry PI

Post by gsaw »

z-wave devices are stored on controller. If you re-install software without resetting of controller, you should have all devices after fresh start. You need got through every device and click on [Call for NIFG] Button on status page in expert mode.

So did I newly as I migrated from Openhab to Z-Way. I just bought and prepared a new sd card with fresh debian installation. Then just installed zway and restarted raspberry pi. After start I saw all devices, but without interview.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

The only exception is security - if you delete all files on the Pi, you will loose the security key. So keep your backup files made in Z-Way. If your installation is not secure, you can easily restore everything just based on the Z-Wave chip info
nebduj

Post by nebduj »

What files are needed to move the security key(s) over?
xurg

Post by xurg »

I think the network key might be stored as "networkKey" in this file:

Code: Select all

/opt/z-way-server/config/zddx/YOURHOMEID-DevicesData.xml

You can see YOURHOMEID at http://IP:8083/expert/#/network/controller

It would be nice to get a confirmation on this, and also if other keys in this file are crucial for a migration.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
RaZberry ZW0500 1024/2 SDK: 6.82.01 API: 05.39
Z-Way version v4.1.0
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Correct. in networkKey field
LeonardWyckoff

Post by LeonardWyckoff »

dsaw wrote:
15 Apr 2011 14:32
z-wave devices are stored on controller. If you re-install software without resetting of controller, you should have all devices after fresh start. You need got through every device and click on [Call for NIFG] Button on status page in expert mode.

So did I newly as I migrated from Openhab to Z-Way. I just bought and prepared a new sd card with fresh debian installation. Then just installed zway and restarted raspberry pi. After start I saw all devices, but without interview.

Sometimes things go wrong and you want to start over. Sometimes you might want a fresh start just to be sure. It is easy to reset or “wipe” a Raspberry Pi. You might think of it as a “factory reset”.

If you are using NOOBS you can hold the [SHIFT] key while rebooting to launch the NOOBS recovery system. This lets you restore everything to “factory default”. People have reported this not working with a wireless keyboard.

Here are two easy, obvious options:

NOOBS recovery system ( see above )
Reflash the SD Card
WARNING - Make sure you back everything up before wiping your system.
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

Where is the spam filter here ?
Leonard posts 1 blank message. and its allowed from mr Wank off.

New users need to be blocked, until first post is allowed by admin.
That is standard now in most forums.
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

We try to keep some ballance between spam-free forum and good user experience. Currently we went down to ~1 span message per day which is acceptable for us to remove manually.

Do you believe Leonard is a spam too? Now even organic intelegence is puzzled ;)