4-hops limit / how to solve strategies

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
captador

4-hops limit / how to solve strategies

Post by captador »

Hello,

Apparently (thanks to webinars) there is a 4 hops limit for routes, which might turn into a problem for 50m2 x 2stores homes and one controller. I have extended my network to backyard lighting with simple rule to switch on at darkness and switch off at sunrise via gateway logic.

All relays are located in a shed about 3 meters aways from a house. That generates all routing issues with weather effects and hops limitations. Usual consequence of it that lights are still on in the morning or not on at night.

What would be the best way to tackle it:
  • build z-uno device that measures light and has direct associations with the shed devices. Good architecture, bit expensive to built. Yes, i haven't found devices supporting direct associations for light sensors, only proximity
  • set up extender that will link the controller with network edge by 2 hops. Tried it, but still routes go sideways. Maybe wrong location for the extender
  • set up better antenna for razberry 2018 plate. Requires some skills and materials
  • migrate to 2019 razberry with improved antenna (is it improved?)
  • setup secondary controller at the shed and migrate logic there
  • has a software approach to check power consumption of devices and enforce the set action, chance that weather changed,job queure smaller and hoping will work. Currently in use thanks to easyscripting
  • migrate to more powerfull controller if there are on the market like Homey or Fibaro HC3
I tend to see options 1 and 5 as front runners.

P.s. noise levels are -91 and -88
PoltoS

Re: 4-hops limit / how to solve strategies

Post by PoltoS »

• z-uno - nice approach
  • make sure to update nodes after adding a repeater and try to set up priority routes. I also suggest to check real routes in Route Map. It will enlighten the situation
  • external antenna is definitelly worth!
  • if 2018 version is also rectangular, no big change
  • two controlelrs are hard to manage, especially if logic is spreas between both
  • I would instead add "repetative" on and off actions to ensure the operation succeeded
  • more powerfull in what matter? here only antenna matters - external antenna for RaZberry really makes changes.
captador

Post by captador »

Thank you, Sergey. Got the point about follow controller and simple repitition - less overengineering the better. Although feedback based logic taught to be much more reliable than feedforward.

I saw antenna extensions discussion here, feels bit intimidating. Is there a 'commercial' product for antenna extensions for 2018 version?

Z-uno is the final goal to keep proper decentralization of logic on low layers. Few months of work though.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

You can buy many u.fl to SMA antenna cables on Aliexpress. Search for u.fl 868 antenna
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

Not really a workaround and I don't want to steer you away from Z-Wave devices but maybe worthwhile to look at if you're already so deep into coding that you could use/program z-uno:

I used ESP8266 based chips that I programmed for MQTT use and paired them to the MQTT App in Z-Way. That way you can work with WIFI-Repeaters and significally extend your range. Was a success for me after I tried adding Z-Wave repeaters, extra nodes, upgraded to newer dongle with bigger antenna and still it remained a spotty conncection.