Second controller

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
vinisz

Second controller

Post by vinisz »

Hi,

I'm going to add a second (UZB) controller with Zway on a pi.
I need this because range is to wide now, jumping over too many hops and that gives issues.
are there any best practices or guide on how to add/manage this second zway controller ? (I do not care about the automation, that is all within node-red, so only about the controller part and the fact that both controllers share nodes.
PoltoS

Re: Second controller

Post by PoltoS »

Better to make two separate networks I believe.
vinisz

Post by vinisz »

Well, that is not possible , I need to exclude and include of 70 nodes then with some of them in very hard to reach places.
Also, wonder why you are saying that... If that is true then why does the whole concept of secondary controllers exist ?
PoltoS wrote:
09 Nov 2020 03:53
Better to make two separate networks I believe.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Secondary controller is not to extend your network. It is a technical Z-Wave network management concept. In order to improve your network you need to add more repeaters and more power to the controller (better antenna)
vinisz

Post by vinisz »

I understand that, but a second controller does help to overcome the "hop limit" , now, node-red can talk directly to this controller as well, and response is better because the chosen path is just shorter.
Adding more repeaters was also not an option, cause that would only introduce more hops, which would not be possible.
Bigger Antenna would be nice though, although I tried that before an on Fibaro HC2 and improvement was not that much, also Poltos, how do I add a bigger antenna to a UZB ?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

On UZB you can not do it unless you are an RF engineer