Z-wave command classes / regular restart

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
gleneroo

Z-wave command classes / regular restart

Post by gleneroo »

Hello

I have some z-wave modules which I control thanks to domoticz on a raspberry pi.

All work fine, except after a few weeks it becomes ompletely ompletely unresponsive (both buttons and remote command).

There is no possible solution acting on the raspberry. The problem is really at the micro module level. Zwave communication is not the issue. Module itself is not physically accessible (embedded in wall).

If I turn off power (completely turning off electricity by disabling the fuse), then restart, then the module restarts, and it resumes working fine. It keeps all settings, with no need to redo calibration..

I have many modules and it happens with any of them, from time to time, so it is not a defective hardware.

Is there a way to set up a weekly restart? It is something that I would like to do with zwave command classes listed in documentation. However I have never done that and I would appreciate some help.

Thank you
gleneroo

Re: Z-wave command classes / regular restart

Post by gleneroo »

It seems nobody knows...
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

There is no such standard feature. It might be device fault and you should consider contacting the manufacturer for a firmware upgrade.
Ricard1

Post by Ricard1 »

I see the same "brain dead" issues with several Z-Wave devices (nodes) and different brands, it is obviously an issue with the Z-Wave SDK or HW meaning it is an responsibility by Z-Wave owner Silicon Labs.
I think it is time to contact Silicon Labs that they risk legal actions... they gladly cash in on products even not working properly brand new out of the box.
I have a lot of issuer with Nodes that need to be power cycled to restore normal functionality, still manufactures almost never seems care (provide new FW) so why should Silicon Labs mind...
As I understand it every manufactures buy Z-Wave processor/circuit owned and controlled by Silicon Labs, so if there is a Chip/FW bug every manufacture and end user will be exposed. A very vulnerable situation for the end user and manufactures that puts all responsibility on Silicon Labs to resolve issues with their partners to provide solution, new FW or even recall products.

Maybe PoltoS can can say something about this? :)
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Usually this is because of bugs and deadlocks in devices. Many are not using watchdog, not doing enough stress and time tests. Unfortunaatelly this is all about programming quality... But most manufacturers try to provide FW updates.
Ricard1

Post by Ricard1 »

It is understandable that products have bugs, it is quite impossible to avoid, but I see exactly same deadlock/hang of two brands (not same re-branded hardware) in a specific installation. For sure an inherent-ed bug from Silicon Labs SDK or their chip! It is obvious ZWave still is not a serious system like Philips-Hue that I also have, new FW releases smoothly applied even for lamps! The market are flooded with new ZWave products but no one seems minds about bug fixing! No established support for FW-updates of Nodes, no built in backup function of the ZWave Controller. It is a shame, people spend many times a lot of money on ZWave system and the more money they spend the more problem they get to keep it working!
Something is seriously wrong in Silicon Labs organization to develop and maintain ZWave quality. If I was a manufacture of ZWave products I would never accept this situation.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Could not agree with you. We know many manufacturers who do provide fw update files. And it's getting better and better.

BTW, we have made a storage of firmwares and are encouraging manufacturers to send us fw update files to make it more simple for users not to search files across internet.