Z-Way Tasmota and MQTT

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
michap

Re: Z-Way Tasmota and MQTT

Post by michap »

I'm just working at an extended MQTT app, including Tasmota and Shelly.
Added here also the multilevelSensor update from MQTT server.

Can you install it from Github (without Z-Way appstore) for testing?
Then I will give you a link when I think that I have tested all and it could be used.

Michael
JohannesF

Post by JohannesF »

That sounds great. I am in!
Just send me the link and I‘ll try.

Best,
Johannes
michap

Post by michap »

You have got a PM. Tell me if and how it is working. It is still a beta ;)
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

JohannesF wrote:
23 Jan 2021 11:08
Yes, I had tried that as well but it didn't seem to help. What I believe is happening is the following:
When the button on the tasmota is pressed to switch on, it sends a message which is used to change the status of the UI device from OFF to ON.
The UI then fires e.g. a POWER ON cmnd to the device which is already on. The Tasmota responds with a new status=ON message which shouldn't do anything to the UI device as the status doesn't change. No clue why the cycle doesn't stop.

I could imagine that I had not selected the most suitable MQTT topics. So if anyone could share a working example including the MQTT topic and prefix settings of the device that would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Johannes
Hi Johannes,

It has been a while since I set this up, but I simply took screenshots for you. Hope that helps, no loops in my setup. One is the catcher, the other the setter.

The Shellies produce a noticable amount of traffic but WIFI is sort of beefy enough for it.

Best of luck,
rws
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-01-24 20-40-56.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-01-24 20-40-56.png (46.75 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-01-24 20-40-41.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-01-24 20-40-41.png (45.97 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

michap wrote:
24 Jan 2021 22:02
You have got a PM. Tell me if and how it is working. It is still a beta ;)
If you need another test, hit me up. :-)
michap

Post by michap »

@ridewithstyle: You have got a PM ;)
JohannesF

Post by JohannesF »

Thank you, rws!
With your and Michael's help I was able to make a huge step forward. I am now able to switch a Tasmota flashed Gosund via MQTT and the dummy device will also listen and react to any manual switching on the device itself. Heureka!

Next on my wish list is to read the sensors of a Tasmota but I struggle to set up a UI device to display the readings. One step after the other...

Thanks again, guys!
Johannes
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

you can appropriate dummy binary switches and dummy dimmers for that as dummy sensors do not exist in z-way. If you have a sensor that reports a reading e.g. I have a magnetic reed sensor feeding into my mqtt based esp8266, I map said sensor on a mqtt topic. Analogue to the setting you just realized, you can setup the zway-mqtt-app as catcher for this topic to another dummy switch app. Changing the mqtt topic will trigger the switch to be updated.

You can change the value in zway though, as it is a switch, but that doesn't really do any harm as it will be overwritten with the next sensor change/update.

best regards,
rws
michap

Post by michap »

With the new app you can use CodeDevice or HTTPDevice, define temperature/humidity... there and read sensor values from MQTT server.
I use it for different external sensors like Bluetooth, Wifi based sensors etc.

Michael
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

Hi michap,

I tested the MQTT2 app, and it works a bit differently to the old one. Hopefully I am able to explain this properly.

I have a MQTT switch device that subcribes to topic xy.
When zway triggers the switch, a new value is being written to topic xy
whenever the topic xy is being updated the mqtt switch device performs the action and tells the zway app to update its value by sending xy/set "off". That way I can see in the app that the command was acknowledged

Hence the setup of the old app is:
topic: mynetwork/xy
set prefix: set
status prefix: status (not used/needed in my scenario)

If I try to replicate that setup, I fail, because if I set the same values, MQTT2 sends xy/set "on/off" to the mqtt server once I trigger the switch in zway
if I see xy/status "on/off" on the network the switch in zway changes its value according to the new value
If I see xy/status "" on the network, I see the zway switch going grey and reporting OFF in the log

Is that in line with your expectation?

Best regards,
rws