is zway rely this bad?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
seiken

is zway rely this bad?

Post by seiken »

is zway really this bad?
I should mention that I have tested a lot of z-wave controllers the last years (most on the eu market, but this is the absolute worst I have tested.
At the time of writing this I have about 100 z-wave plus units against an overclocked rpi4b 8gig with a razberry v2 connected, both are cooled by noctua fan so the temperature is 30C. 60 of the units are mains device (powered) these are evenly distributed with several in each room.

The response is very poor especially if you turn on / off a device a couple of times, for example when you in a scene have a light flashing a couple of times or try to control several devices at the same time, scenes, etc. are not performed. If I look at how many things are in line (jobs), it almost always says 0. Even the aeotec usb stick via HA and the crappy open z-wave was better than this.
If compare with vera plus or secure, which has always worked lightning fast and super stable when controlled by HA, zway is far, far behind
if vera is a sports car zway is a bicycle without wheels, chane or handels.

Then we have the stability problems and the integration problems
If I ad a unit, and then select the type, you can not set the variables or it lacks the menu to enter a value such as parameter 110 on qubino thermostat 2 where you get two checkboxes but can not set the value.
If you do this through the expert page, it gives the completely wrong value, for example say that you want to lower the temperature with -4.4 degrees because offset is wrong and then write -44 then the value becomes -6xxxx and the unit starts to click.

zway itself seems to lose the connection to the online servers all the time so you have to go in with local ip instead. scenes you create, alexa or HA can not see at all. and alaxa says in 50% of cases that zway does not respond.

The "New" Integration with HA that has been talked about for a long time I have not seen at all, even if you are going to release a new zwave module with better coverage, it will hardly solve all other problems,
i have kontakted support with 0 response

Damn im tired I am of zway now is this shit really so damn bad or is there a giant fault with my device?
PoltoS

Re: is zway rely this bad?

Post by PoltoS »

Taking into acount how many users are happy with Z-Way, I suppose the latter answer is correct. Another questions is why...

I think you have to present your issues with more details one by one and we help you to solve them.
fez

Post by fez »

I am a long time ZWay user and my setup has been working reliably for the past couple of years ... or longer.
I admit I am not using external services like Alexa, so I can't comment on that side.
Considering that I get this ( maintaind, with feature updates every now and then) without paying a monthly subscription fee, I am very much pleased with the system.
For sure there are still some issues unresolved, with every update there are some new issues popping up, but also more issues are being solved, ... and the trend is positive.
I understand your frustrations, but I believe your experience can be improved: for example you seem to have a relatively big network and you might experience congestion issues.
There are also some very informative webinars, maybe some can share here the links.
Try to open individual topics for individual issues. The community is not huge, but ZWay people do offer support here in the forum.
seiken

Post by seiken »

PoltoS wrote:
23 Feb 2021 09:15
Taking into acount how many users are happy with Z-Way, I suppose the latter answer is correct. Another questions is why...

I think you have to present your issues with more details one by one and we help you to solve them.
sorry for the bad attitude but im getting very tired of this problems when im use to it working flawless.
im using z-wave and voice control for every thing in the house so now nothing works.

problem 1: controller stops responding, or get very slow to login, and the mobile app doesn't connect in 90% of the case.
then i have to go in to vnc and restart zway

problem 2: scenes are not performed, or they take a ridiculously long time to run, 10+ minute för 20-30 devices and often, very often it only perform 20-50% (like turn of all light and lock the door)

problem 3: controlling 1 device 1 time normally is ok, but turning on/off the devices a couple off times never work, 1 time fast 2 times slower, 3 times even slower 4 times stops responding, 3-5 minutes later it runs the on/off again, (using this for telling the kids when it's time for dinner and they are gaming)

problem 4: im using pir sensors to turn on led strips, normally they go on before i set a foot in the stairs but now i can walk the whole staircase before they turn on and often they never turn on, if they turn on thay only turn of again 50% of the time

problem 5: ading qubino devices, like thermostat 2, i can't change the parameters, i ad them, and pick the correct modell, but when trying to configure them thy only have checkboxes so i can't add -44 for exempel, going in to expert and changing it to -44 result in devices error. it starts clicking and showing -65xx

problem 6: Alexa, 50% of the time it state it cant connect to the device, and i cant sett type of device, if its a light or a switch.

problem 7: Integration with HA same problem here, its very slow and doesn't seem to see the scene from zway

what info do you need for each problem?

//Regards
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

In most cases logs are needed
seiken

Post by seiken »

well i noticed some things today, when looking on the background noce its hi, its in the red,yellow and sometimes in the green and bunching , so i added 3 extra tall rizers to make razberry be as far away from rpi as possible, now its in the green and things respond much better. shulde razberry be this sensitiv for rpi? its made to be mounted on it?
the problem that the mobile app only works in 10% of the case got fixt when i was trying to test smart start funktion,
smart start didn't work at all with my qubino but i removed my phone and added it back by scanning a qr kod instead of adding the info manuel, know it has been stable. so something is messed up withe the manual adding of phone.