ZWay suddenly detects Secure Command Class in existing device, reports incomplete interview

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
intveltr

ZWay suddenly detects Secure Command Class in existing device, reports incomplete interview

Post by intveltr »

(Running ZWay on an Intel NUC with Z-Wave.Me USB stick)

It seems that every now and then, ZWay forgets the interviews for some devices and then requeries them. Sometimes it thinks that a device has the Secure Command Class, and reports an incomplete Security or SecurityS2 interview. This condition is easily cleared by hitting Call for NIF followed by Force Interview, after which the Security Interview line and the Secure Command classes disappear again. I'm not sure if this happens only with specific devices, so far it has occurred with:
- Fibaro Dual Binary Sensor
- Fibaro Wall Plug
- Danfoss Living Connect TRV
- Eversping Dimmers (these are ancient, over 10 years old, yet ZWay was insisting that it was missing an S2 Security interview)

The made-up security interviews are annoying but they don't seem to affect performance. Still, it would be nice to be able to lock the interview database against these changes (in general, or per device), so that once an interview is completed, it stays that way.
micky1500

Re: ZWay suddenly detects Secure Command Class in existing device, reports incomplete interview

Post by micky1500 »

I've had that issue with old stuff.
But they fixed it for me.
Since v3.1.4 I have not had to force an interview to complete.
What Firmware Version are you running ?
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
intveltr

Re: ZWay suddenly detects Secure Command Class in existing device, reports incomplete interview

Post by intveltr »

Still on 3.0.something. I'll have to upgrade Ubuntu and a bunch of other software running on this box first, that's why I held off on the upgrade. But if it fixes this problem, it'll be worth it.
intveltr

Post by intveltr »

After upgrading to 3.1.4, I haven't had any spurious Secure Command Classes or interviews suddenly gone missing, so all is well. :)
sonalford

Post by sonalford »

intveltr wrote:
30 Jul 2021 14:06
(Running ZWay on an Intel NUC with Z-Wave.Me USB stick)

It seems that every now and then, ZWay forgets the interviews for some devices and then requeries them. Sometimes it thinks that a device has the Secure Command Class, and reports an incomplete Security or SecurityS2 interview. This condition is easily cleared by hitting Call for NIF followed by Force Interview, after which the Security Interview line and the Secure Command classes disappear again. I'm not sure if this happens only with specific devices, so far it has occurred with:
- Fibaro Dual Binary Sensor
- Fibaro Wall Plug
- Danfoss Living Connect TRV
- Eversping Dimmers (these are ancient, over 10 years old, yet ZWay was insisting that it was missing an S2 Security interview)

The made-up security interviews are annoying but they don't seem to affect performance. Still, it would be nice to be able to lock the interview database against these changes (in general, or per device), so that once an interview is completed, it stays that way.
I put off upgrading Ubuntu and a bunch of other software on this box because I needed to upgrade Ubuntu and a bunch of other applications first. But it'll be worth it if it solves the problem.
intveltr

Post by intveltr »

Still haven't had this issue occur since the upgrade, so it seems it's fixed.