Smart washing machine

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
WoFe67

Smart washing machine

Post by WoFe67 »

Hi, everyone,

my washing machine does not have an acoustic notification when the wash program is finished. I would like to make the machine "smart" with Z-Way. I would like to send a message to my mobile phone via pushover if energy measurement is below a certain threshold value. The problem with this is that this threshold value is sometimes undercut during the washing program, i.e. energy consumption <2 watts. Of course, this then leads to false messages on my cell phone.
My question to you is whether there is an app that only triggers an event e.g. after 2-3 measurements below the threshold value.
In other words: is there is an app that summarizes events and only generates an event after a certain time or counter.

Thank you.

Many greetings,

PS: Sorry for my englisch
micky1500

Re: Smart washing machine

Post by micky1500 »

Have a look at the 'Easy Scripting' App

Bit complicated, Search this forum for 'Scripting' to get some examples.
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
WoFe67

Post by WoFe67 »

ok, thanks to micky1500
sonalford

Post by sonalford »

WoFe67 wrote:
05 Aug 2021 18:21
Hi, everyone,

my washing machine does not have an acoustic notification when the wash program is finished. I would like to make the machine "smart" with Z-Way. I would like to send a message to my mobile phone via pushover if energy measurement is below a certain threshold value. The problem with this is that this threshold value is sometimes undercut during the washing program, i.e. energy consumption <2 watts. Of course, this then leads to false messages on my cell phone.
My question to you is whether there is an app that only triggers an event e.g. after 2-3 measurements below the threshold value.
In other words: is there is an app that summarizes events and only generates an event after a certain time or counter.

Thank you.

Many greetings,

Have you connected your washing machine to your phone so you can be notified that the washing machine has finished washing? It's clever but I don't know how to do this, can you share?
Anatolie

Post by Anatolie »

You only really need one thing, a smart plug that monitors the power usage. I personally use a NEO Coolcam Z-wave plug from AliExpress. I have like 5 of these in my house, they are only €18 each and very stable & well built!If you want the text to speach (tts), you'll need a Google home or Alexa.
Edwin Benavidez

Post by Edwin Benavidez »

It's pretty inconvenient if you don't have acoustic notifications. Were there any problems when you bought your washing machine? I've just never encountered such problems, I usually use washing machine rentals, which is quite convenient due to the move and I'm very happy with their work and the quality of appliances they provide. On my washing machine, there are many modes, as well as notifications, if you want, you can rent yourself a more expensive model that can be connected to a phone, and will see the status of your washing and understand when it is finished, however, as for me, it is a pretty unnecessary thing. I'm fine with a regular washing machine.
Last edited by Edwin Benavidez on 11 Jan 2023 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
HoferSackal

Post by HoferSackal »

Hey!

Has anyone implemented an algorithm which monitors the power usage of a washing machine (ore something similar) an only alerts you if the power is below a certain threshold for a longer time (5-10 minutes)?

I‘m trying to do the same: the machine stops a few times and the power goes down, bit the machine hasn’t finished.

Tried different approaches using different apps, but can’t get it.
I‘m not sure if the easy scripting app can do this either - i would need to implement loops that run a few minutes to check if the power changes, and i don’t know what happens if de app is triggered again when it is actually running (can there be more instances of one app?). There is also an advice: do not use slow loops.

Thanks for every hint!

Regards,
Michael
JohannesF

Post by JohannesF »

Hi Michael,

I am thinking about the same.
My idea is to create a HTTP device to read the current power consumption. That part I have achieved using a Tasmota driven plug.
I then thought about checking each change of the Power consumption with EasyScripting. If the Power falls below 1W (or whatever threshold is appropriate to allow eg some LEDs) I would set a timer to fire a message after x seconds/minutes. Should the power rise above the threshold before the timer has fired a message I would simply stop the timer. Loops shouldn't be needed.

I am doing something similar with window alerts. When a bathroom window is opened, I set a timer to send a reminder. Once the window is closed, I delete the timer to prevent firing.

Have you found a smart solution in the meantime?

Regards
Johannes
HoferSackal

Post by HoferSackal »

Hey Johannes,

I did as you suggested.
I‘m also using a Tasmota-Plug (which i integrated via virtual devices - simple curl http get).

Here‘s my code - any hints to do it better would be great:

Code: Select all

### Code_Device_sensorMultilevel_47 // Leistung Waschmaschine
if (isNaN(global.Waschmaschine)) {global.Waschmaschine = 0}
if (vdev("Code_Device_sensorMultilevel_47").value() < 3 && vdev("Code_Device_sensorMultilevel_47").value() > 0 && global.Waschmaschine == 1) {
 setTimer("WaschmaschineKeineLeistung", function() { vdev("DummyDevice_125").on() }, 300);
 setTimer("WaschmaschineSchalterReset", function() { vdev("DummyDevice_125").off() }, 420);
 global.Waschmaschine = 0;
 //console.log("Timer start, Leistung Waschmaschine:", vdev("Code_Device_sensorMultilevel_47").value());
 //console.log("global.Waschmaschine = ", global.Waschmaschine);
}
if (vdev("Code_Device_sensorMultilevel_47").value() > 3) {
 stopTimer("WaschmaschineKeineLeistung");
 stopTimer("WaschmaschineSchalterReset");
 vdev("DummyDevice_125").off();
 global.Waschmaschine = 1;
 //console.log("Timer stop, Leistung Waschmaschine:", vdev("Code_Device_sensorMultilevel_47").value());
 //console.log("global.Waschmaschine = ", global.Waschmaschine);
}
I‘m using a binary switch which is on for a short time (via the two timers) and I‘ve a notification rule which sends a message if that switch is „on“.

Regards,
Michael
Balwas

Post by Balwas »

basket random
WoFe67 wrote:
05 Aug 2021 18:21
Hi, everyone,

Thank you.

Many greetings,

Yes, there are automation apps and platforms available that can help you achieve the desired functionality of triggering an event only after a certain number of measurements below the threshold value. One popular platform that offers such capabilities is Home Assistant.