FIBARO FGRGBW-442 EU v5.0 almost unusable

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
calypso2k

FIBARO FGRGBW-442 EU v5.0 almost unusable

Post by calypso2k »

Hi,
I use Qubino RGBW modules but they are really low quality - 2 out of 5 died on me. So I decided to try FIBARO, they manufacture IMHO good modules and they support S2.

I use it in network with 45 devices, but it is almost unusable, commands are slow and after 24h or so device stops responding. I have to restart Z-Way or force interview to make it respond again. It doesn't matter if the device is S2 or Unsecure included.

I have couple of Razberrys, firmware 5.39EU, Z-Way 3.2.0 (3.1.4 also tested), so I tested with stock Z-Way install, only FIBARO module included to the controller. I've made simple user module to switch RGB and W to random value every 10 seconds.
Attached is log and screen of filling queue. Can some shed some light on it? I'd really like to use this FIBARO module.

I can not see anything wrong within the log besides "Job is already marked as waiting for reply, Supervision overrides it - check encapsulated packet not to be a Get".
Attachments
log.zip
(848.21 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
FGRGBWM-441.jpg
FGRGBWM-441.jpg (469.75 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
calypso2k

Re: FIBARO FGRGBW-442 EU v5.0 almost unusable

Post by calypso2k »

So... I will tell you a joke, that is unfunny AF.

As I am having problems with this FIBARO module, I've found this thread in official FIBARO forum https://forum.fibaro.com/topic/49893-co ... activated/

So the module fades between RGBW colors on color change for configured amount of time, as any RGBW module would do. Let's say you have red and you want to change to green - there will be (by default) 3 seconds fade between those colors. It is nice effect.
But... for those 3 seconds, THE DEVICE WILL NOT RESPOND TO ANY PACKET ON RADIO!

This is unbelievable... It seems that internal firmware does this fade single threaded. Again, this is unbelievable in 2021. On high level, the device works, so you can not complain. Firmware update (if it will be ever released) is no go, as FIBARO *requires* you to own their controller to do firmware updates.

For anybody reading this: just don't buy this crap. If you did, change parameter 152 (2 bytes) to 0. The color change will be instant (and ugly) but the device will be responsive.

To be fair, FIBARO makes other excellent modules, like light dimmers, but this one is a F joke.
PoltoS

Re: FIBARO FGRGBW-442 EU v5.0 almost unusable

Post by PoltoS »

Interesting investigation, thanks for sharing.

looking on your log we found how to improve Z-Way queue. But that will not solve the device issue anyway.